New Tramper, looking for gear list?

Hey guys, I'm a new tramper. I'm wondering if anyone could link me, or rattle off a list of must have gear. Chances are most of it is obvious and I've already planned to buy/bought already. But being new there's likely things I've just not thought of and don't want to have an oh shit moment an hour before dusk when I realise I've forgotten something major :) Been getting a feel for things by doing small hikes (just a few hours or so) in local bush. I've also been slowly buying things as I've been able to afford/felt the need for them. As summer hits I'm wanting to start looking at over night hikes up around Russell forest with the dog. Thanks in advance Murdoch
111 comments
11–20 of 111

I'm not, but the boots were a bargain, and I mean... boots.
Here is a copy of my hiking checklist. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kjx1qDjCyJ85vzzLdbqceLGeFN90_6uuqnDYCv3zLdU/edit?usp=sharing I'm a spreadsheet addict, and yes I've weighed all my gear to the gram just because I was bored and I can. I don't have all this stuff just yet, and don't take it all every time. But every time I come across a useful idea I try add something. If I put a 1 in the Packed column it includes it in my pack weight total for that trip. Anyway, might be a useful list of ideas.
wow, I checked out the MSR pocket rocket, why does it cost so much? I'll definitely bookmark that spreadsheet, thanks
thats a relatively cheap MSR stove. its stainless steel.
Gear is so important when your new to tramping, it can get obsessive . Just go cheap until you get a real feel for it. Cheap warehouse cooker and a gas canister, a spork, a cheap plastic bowl, a lighter. A warehouse foam mattress, a good warm sleeping bag, but doesn't need to be an exped or anything, you'll just be doing overnight ears in the warm north, use your spare clothes in a pillow case for a pillow. Get a cheap waterproof jacket, shorts, cheap ridge line fleece, two pairs of socks. Two rubbish bags are as good as any expensive liners. Get a cheap head torch and spare batteries, take a map and know how to use it. Use that good ol kiwi ingenuity. Money can't buy experience, just get into it.
be wary of ultralight websites telling you can take next to no gear, successful ultralight walkers have a lot of experience and skill in being able to get away with what they take and they are still sailing closer to the wind on safety as a result, and the gear doesnt last as long and isnt cheap. dont skimp on warm gear if the weathers less than perfect and bear grylls is to be ignored at all costs. be wary of young outdoor shop staff too, they often dont know what they are talking about, they may want to sell you stuff you dont need.
A pot / billy can easily substitute as a mug, bowl and plate. So when travelling solo a single small pot does all my cooking and eats needs. Some people take frying pans, mugs, plates, bowels... It all just adds extra weight and expense. It does mean I often can not have a meal and hot drink at the same time, but that is a sacrifice I am prepared to make. Although many huts do have spare pots / pans in them.
@Murdoch, in regards to PLB's, you can also hire them, or if you belong to a tramping club they will most likely have them that may be able to use. Phones don't work in many backcountry locations. And yes they can be expensive to buy, but what is your life worth? Plus they can make a rescue much easier. Search on this forum, many threads re PLB's, different brands, batterylife etc.
How often do you actually run into people out there? That's the one thing that I'm a bit disappointed about, the forests up here are so small, it feels like ti's going to be hard to truly be alone. And still looking for an answer on the water thing. Can I just boil stream water? Or do I have to use those purification tablets? Or just take in as much as I think I'll need? (Sounds heavy)
You sure can boil stream water, or just drink straight from it. But that depends on how deep into the bush you are far from farms etc. I just drink straight from hut tanks tarns and streams and have never been sick. Though you should always have a litre on you, double when on dry summer tops. You can, If you plan well have an alone in wilderness experience, I've slept in a hundred huts and shared them only a couple of times. I always search out the out of the way spots. That's what me and my family enjoy.
11–20 of 111

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Murdoch
On 19 October 2015
Replies 110
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown