New Tramper, looking for gear list?

Hey guys, I'm a new tramper. I'm wondering if anyone could link me, or rattle off a list of must have gear. Chances are most of it is obvious and I've already planned to buy/bought already. But being new there's likely things I've just not thought of and don't want to have an oh shit moment an hour before dusk when I realise I've forgotten something major :) Been getting a feel for things by doing small hikes (just a few hours or so) in local bush. I've also been slowly buying things as I've been able to afford/felt the need for them. As summer hits I'm wanting to start looking at over night hikes up around Russell forest with the dog. Thanks in advance Murdoch
111 comments
41–50 of 111

try the buy sell exchange forum here and advertise the sort of gear you're after
One of the notable points of Osprey stuff is the warranty that comes with it. They'll repair or replace any damage free of charge for the lifetime, for any reason, including normal wear and tear. That's a very unusual warranty, as even with a lifetime warranty most manufacturers wouldn't address damage if they considered you'd been mis-using it. http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/web/all_mighty_guarantee If you actually want that, though, make sure the retailer's clear about it when you buy. They should be, but if it looks like they'll complicate things then maybe you're better buying from a different retailer.
I second the positive comments on the Osprey packs. I bought one and was so delighted with it, I bought a larger capacity in the same model - Exos, which are very light packs. I use the 56L one for my 10 day trips around Stewart Island, no problems. Quite a few people have been able to resume tramping after back/neck issues when they treated themselves to Aarn Packs. Aarn Tate will enable trials of using the packs before you decide to buy one. Hopefully you can get a cheapie on Trade Me but why someone would want to get rid of one escapes me unless it was an estate sale!
Lots of good advice here and I'm not sure what I can add. I have a gear list I use and as with everyone it has slight differences (I apparently take too many socks!). I would just reitterate what has been mentioned that you probably don't want to go out and blow large amounts of money on high end gear until you have been on a few trips and know what you need and what will benifit you most. I grew up tramping with an oilskin, thick woollen jersey, farm work boots and rugby socks. They worked fine for me to start and as you upgrade gear you really appreciate the benifits of it! Best of luck with all your future trips.
What and where is aarn tate? Got in touch with the NZ supplier of Aarn, asking if they do layby, would be a lot easier if I can just chip in $50 a week until it's paid or something. You guys have been really great with all this info, thank you all so much. Also checked with DOC up here, lady seemed dumbfounded when I asked if they rent PLBs, so I'll keep looking for now, perhaps be sure to stick near the tracks for a few months or something, until I can afford it. I'd have to admit it's probably going to be one of the last purchases I make. Also, my folks have offered me the bus! Anytime I want to get away for a week or weekend, the old man spent a good year working on it and it's a great camper which is also going to increase the range I can get out to visit! Looking forward to it.
I know this is going to be a little out there seeing this is a trampers forum, but I found that by purchasing Travall equipment for my car makes all the difference when I am tramping. The products also helped me to organise my boot space a whole lot better with the correct accessories that actually fit my car. I went the whole hog and bought everything they offer. So my car was protected from all the grit, water, mud and debris that follows you home after a tramping session. And, it keeps my gear safe and away from any other bits I may have in the boot. Daniel, a friend of mine told me about them. He owns a Land Rover Discovery and goes camping and hiking a fair amount so he needed these items for his car. I tell you, it is well worth the dollars spent. www.travall.co.nz. Cheers mate.
Well, I'll be damned. I wonder if this stuff is pink and comes in a can? Aarn Tate is the developer of the Aarn range of gear. Here are his contact details: Aarn Design Ltd, 35 Darcy Street, Leeston 7632, New Zealand P. +64 3 324 4025, M. +64 21 264 8791 Email [Email address removed]
living simply in newmarket Auckland sell aarn packs, you must get them fitted correctly, they can take a bit of adjustment from someone who knows what they are doing to set them up correctly, living simply know how to set them up.
On the water front, gaiters is spot on. On average in mountainous areas the stream water is safe to drink. There is giardia in some places, but i just dont think we have the cyst count to reach ready infection level, it takes a serious amount of water. Hut tanks vary a bit in how often they are cleaned out, and they tend to get a bit of soot off the roof, birds, possums etc. So i sometimes do boil it if it looks... interesting, but just as often not. Doc is a bit sign happy, but the usual one they use in huts is something to the effect of "in general the water at this facility is safe to drink, but you may wish to treat the water for your safety", the usual butt covering sort of stuff. I also never got any kind of bug from a lifetime of tramping. Travel in asia... nother whole story.
And another cheap stove option is the trangia meths stoves. 30 or 40 bucks. Plus: quiet, dont smell. Minus: slow. Still use ours from time to time, when the whisperlite seems overkill.
41–50 of 111

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Murdoch
On 19 October 2015
Replies 110
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown