New Tramper, looking for gear list?

Hey guys, I'm a new tramper. I'm wondering if anyone could link me, or rattle off a list of must have gear. Chances are most of it is obvious and I've already planned to buy/bought already. But being new there's likely things I've just not thought of and don't want to have an oh shit moment an hour before dusk when I realise I've forgotten something major :) Been getting a feel for things by doing small hikes (just a few hours or so) in local bush. I've also been slowly buying things as I've been able to afford/felt the need for them. As summer hits I'm wanting to start looking at over night hikes up around Russell forest with the dog. Thanks in advance Murdoch
111 comments
31–40 of 111

Re your pack - the bulk of the weight should be carried through your hips, not your neck/shoulders. In the interests of long term comfort it might pay to call in to Macpac or Bivouac or a local independant (forget Kathmandu), find a knowledgable staff member, and try on a few packs. You'll learn how to fit a pack correctly, and if you find something you like you can put it on the 'want' list, or keep an eye out for a second hand one on Trademe. Be aware that most brands have difference sizes depending on your back length - not all packs fit all people. A pack that doesn't fit can turn a multiday trip in to a miserable experience....been there, done that!
Well that's easy, we don't have any of those 3 up here in Whangarei anyway. Our "local independents" are disgusting leeches that charge out the ass. Unless it's old, on special, or just something simple and cheap I don't buy anything local. Trademe or overseas has easily been 90% of my purchases thus far.
if your town is on the tourist circuit unfortunately the prices tend to be high, someone told me they observed prices in queenstown go up about 20% during the last recession,, companies trying to maintain their income in lean times..
When/if you decide to carry on tramping after a few try outs, you might contemplate an Aarn pack which are often bought by people with back problems etc. I've just bought one and initial assessment is that it is brilliant - way better than my existing Macpack pack. I used to be a member of the Whangarei Tramping Club (it has a web site) and we used to explore all those little hills and patches of bush scattered all over the north, not to mention streams, rivers and the coast. We also did long weekend trips and also an annual S. Island big trip. Although you might not be into going out with others it would be a good introduction and you would meet experienced trampers who would, no doubt, have much info. to share. It used to have lots of young folk in it but that was back in the 60s and we've all got a bit older since then! lol
Those packs look really good, but what's the price range? It doesn't say on their site, which normally means a lot lol.
@Murdoch Trust me on this - when it comes to packs the price is the last thing you'll remember. I can't tell you Aarn's current pricing, but it's in line with other similar packs. Just isn't the cheapest.
I'll flick them an email. I have bad knees too haha, so any help is good. I'm figuring I want the "Peak Aspiration" or "Guiding Light"
Aarn packs are towards the more expensive ends. The Peak Aspiration is around $389, and the balance pocket could add a extra $120+ to that. Could probably get a quality pack for half that with most other brands. I own two Aarn packs, and they are very nice to wear. Got one of mine during a closing down sale, and another new second hand from trademe. Otherwise they are rarely on special. I own a Mammut overnight pack which I find just as comfy as my Aarns and it was much cheaper. So while Aarns are very nice, there are alternatives which might fit just as well. (Sadly, I do not believe Mammut has a agent in NZ any more) Osprey also makes some nice packs, they are good value, and they have a very generous warranty. Although not quite as good fitting on me as the above.
yeah osprey are good and widespread although their lighter packs are an acquired taste, they should be on trademe from time to time.
Tons of ospreys on trademe. Thanks guys, I have a lot to work with here.
31–40 of 111

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Murdoch
On 19 October 2015
Replies 110
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown