Whats everyone got planned?

I know that we have had this type of thread before but I figure seen as there isnt much happening on this website at the moment I just thought I would ask what everyone is up to, Have ya got anything planned for the weekend or training ya self up for a big tramp during the summer? Just thought I would see what everyones up to, its good to read about other peoples tramping trips plus it also gives ya a few ideas for tramping trips of your own.
341 comments
291–300 of 341

Up to Dundas Via Herepai, this weekend . May do a loop via Bannister, but probably just exit via Cattle Ridge . Haven't been into the Tararua since February so really looking forward to it . Managed to take along with a group tagging North Island Brown Kiwi yesterday, had a blast . Learned all the ins and outs of tracking, the female gave us the runner, but we caught and tagged the male, got a nice pic with him too . They were holed up in some massive windfall at the bottom and top respectively, off a decent slip, tough going . But it was a very special experience to see 'wild' kiwi in their natural environment, especially North Island Brown during the day .
Got next week from Anzac day onwards off work,thinking about a Northern Crossing from Mitre Flats to Waiopehu etc. including a side trip to Dorset Ridge if the weather is good.
was plaaning a walk this weekend but now am sitting with a back swollen ankle after twisting it playing indoor netball last night, hopefully it repairs itself by the weekend!
Going to Brills Hut via the Mangapumarumaru route. Waioeka / Urutawa area.
See how many nights I can spend in huts in the next 30 days and still make it to work each day! 1/1: kapakapanui.
Masters Shelter Parks peak hut Sentry box hut circuit next Friday Saturday back in the Ruahines a recovery walk my knee and my brothers hernia getting older is a bastard!
Madpom's challenge still going. 5 huts from 5 nights so far. Kapakapanui, renata, snowy, renata, orange. Loop from field or kime tonight and tomorrow. Not missed an hour of work yet but going to run out of clean clothes at some point!
Hows the challenge going Madpom?
Stalled! Started with a roar and got to 8 huts from 8 nights without having managed to reach any new huts beyond the list above. Then went home for the weekend and failed to convince the missus she wanted to spend each night in a hut for the sake of it. The plan for the next week was to jump the Tararuas and attack the other side: Cone, Sayers, Blue Ridge, Totora, Akawhitu all seem just about within reach. The eastern side is harder however, as train timetables do not cooperate. To get to work you've either got to get to Featherston station by about 7:30 after which there's a 2-hour gap with no trains - so the plan was to use the 2-wheeler for transport all the way from work to the roadend. Then it started raining. And the prospect of riding the 2-wheeler over the Rimutaka Hill Road in the rain, walking into a hut in the rain in the dark - followed by the whole thing in reverse the next morning did not appeal. So I managed only 1 hut (Orange again) the next week in a dry window. Having spent a night at Triangle Hut whilst checking stoat traps at the weekend that made 10 huts from 16 nights. So I think I'll call it abandoned and take up the challenge again at a later date. Maybe in summer - then I actually would get to see the places I'm visiting!
Well it's pretty impressive all the same. :-P
291–300 of 341

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by Jono51
On 24 September 2009
Replies 340
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown