Packs

1–10 of 77

What kind of packs are the best appropriate for tramping in nz for about 5-6 days on end?
When selecting a pack I always go larger than I am likely to need. It is easier to underfill a pack that overfill one and tie stuff on the outside. An important consideration is the width of the pack in relation to your hips and shoulders and the height relaitve to your head. Much wider or taller and you will catch it on everything and give you trouble on bridges. I personaly use a Macpac Canyon (the Cascade with no bottom zip) 95L for everything. It has a handy extension on the top for an extra few litres and good straps on the outside for attaching tents/parkas.
I use a MacPac Pursuit ( or MacPac Ascent for longer trips only) on a regular basis for trips ranging from 2 days to 9 days. Although I am using the outside of my pack to secure climbing gear/ boots and Ski's. Once above the bushline these are used. general rule of thumb is; anything over 80L is too much. You tend to fill it with crap you don't need, and wish you hadn't come day two of your 5-6 day tramp.
I have it down to a 55L pack for everything up to 4 or 5 days at the moment, provided I am staying in huts or the weather is likely to be good. What size you need really depends on what gear you have - climbing / skiing etc needs more gear. With hut-hut tramping I find you can get away with a lot less stuff - I take one spare set of thermal underwear, anticipating any that get wet being at least partly dried (even if only by airing) overnight. A smaller sleeping bag, lighter weight food and less extras means a smaller, lighter, more comfortable pack.
I recently bought a Mammut 60L pack (cant remember the exact model) but I have used it for alpine work and plenty of weekend tramps in the winter and its brilliant! will be trying it out on a 4-7 day tramp over summer so see if its big enough?! its got good loops on the outside for ixe axe/pole attachments, place to secure crampons, and all this for under 2KG! great pack!
The model for above is Mammut Silvretta 60
Has anyone tried the new Macpac "Liberator" harness system (on their 2008 range of packs) ?? - good, bad indifferent?
i have a 60l pack ex army weighs 2 kg empty brought from http://www.kiwidisposals.co.nz/ for $50
I use a fairydown breaking ice alpine,heavy canvas,seventeen years old and still going strong,think it's seventy five litre and nine times out of ten it's a little big though it's nice to have room to help out with your mates load if they are injured etc,i've seen these packs go for under one hundred on trade me...and NZ made!
i have a rocky mountains brand pack which is about 85-90l i think, was bought 13 years ago and didnt cost much so has served me well, however it has been repaired a few times now so next week when i head to wellington i am going to buy a macpac cascade 90l pack. they are supposed to be very tough and will hopefully last forever and be very conmfortable with the new harness system, am looking forward to using it!
1–10 of 77

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by csuggate
On 20 February 2007
Replies 76
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown