IN THE NEWS

Historic wreckage removed illegally By TANYA KATTERNS - The Dominion Post Last updated 22:46 06/03/2009 Share Print Text Size Supplied DISAPPEARING PLANE: The air force Devon became a landmark high up in the Tararua Range. The wreckage of a plane strewn near the gravesites of two pilots killed in the crash in the Tararua Range more than 50 years ago has been stripped in an act damned by the Conservation Department "as daylight robbery". In the past week, parts of the plane's remains, which are now owned by the Crown, have been whisked away and other sections have been moved into clearings for easier removal. The plane, an RNZAF Devon, was on a training flight from Ohakea when it crashed on Shingle Slip Knob, near Mt Holdsworth, on February 17, 1955. Flight lieutenants Edward Casey and William Trott were buried 100 metres from the site on a hilltop after their bodies were discovered three days later. The wreckage and the two simple white crosses bearing the men's names have remained there as a grim reminder of the hazards of the rugged range. The Conservation Department, which manages Tararua Forest Park, was alerted this week to efforts to remove the wreckage by helicopter. Tramper Barry Durrant told The Dominion Post he saw a red and white Hughes 500 helicopter make three trips to the site of the wreckage last Friday. An engine was seen being lifted out of the wreckage and taken to a clearing at a road end. DOC's Wairarapa area manager Chris Lester said the crash site, though not listed as having historical protection, was part of the forest park's history. "Even if someone had approached us for consent, I would never have approved it till the RNZAF and the families of the two men who died and were buried nearby were consulted." The wreckage belonged to the Crown, as it was on crown land, and any attempts to recover the plane had to be granted consent. "We have been in contact with our lawyers and whatever is going on up there is very illegal. Daylight robbery even. Anyone who thinks they can try to do something like that covertly are fooling themselves." Mr Lester and a DOC ranger flew to the site on Wednesday. "There is certainly clear evidence that the engine is gone. Part of a wing has been moved to a clearing for easier removal. We don't know who is behind it and what the motive is. While there may be suspicions, the investigation and groundwork begins. "We will be monitoring the site."
95 comments
21–30 of 95

I know I did some daft things when I was young. I guess all of us did. Luckily we survived, as these boys did. I hope they learnt something from their experience and keep on tramping.
Rangiwahia Hut is a easy two hours from the roadend, I think this makes people tend to forget/overlook the fact that its above the bushline and the last part of the track can get heavy snow.
Good call pmcke, along the same vein as your call on the 'fatherly chat' quote. They got a fright, no one died, here's hoping they keep at it!!!
agreed thay where VERY lucky hopefully thay and others learn from this neer disaster and at the least be better prepared in future
Another interesting story... http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/2451157/Rescued-tramper-wearing-poncho-carrying-beans
Ponchos were all the rage at one stage. It was the American influence I think. Didn't last long, they flap around in the wind too much. But I expect they are certainly better protection against the elements than some things.
If they cut the wind out and you have a thermal layer or two underneath then I could imagine that they would work fine. I have yet to find a decent arguement for taking jeans into the hills though :)
The best place for anything cotton when out tramping is in the draw back at home.
Cotton: now there I'd have to disagree with you. Not found anything besides cotton that doesn't sweat inside a tramping sleeping bag. But for outdoors on the hill: certainly has no place.
I use a Macpac Liner in my sleeping bag. I think it is just thin nylon but isn't a problem. Apparently silk is wonderful but I havn't lashed out for that yet. I find that even a cotton tee shirt on a hot day turns into a cold claggy sweaty mess. It has no place for me.
21–30 of 95

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by brenthen
On 7 March 2009
Replies 94
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown