Tent Choice

I'm about to purchase a new tent and looking for some recommendations. I'm pretty sure I want to get a Vaude because I can get really good deals on them. Sometimes I walk with my partner and I'd rather buy 1 tent which can be used as a 1-2 person than buy a 1 person for me then a 2 person for when we both go. I'm based on the West Coast so water proof is going to be one of the bigger deals. My main concern with the Vaude's is there isn't enough fly space at the front for storing packs/cooking. Weight is also a pretty big deal as I often travel with my dSLR camera and lenses so I try and save weight where I can. Has anyone had positive/negative experiences with Vaude? Is there anything in particular I should be aware of? Any feedback appreciated.
78 comments
31–40 of 78

I carry a fly on most tramps.The weight & bulk is minimal,but having shelter with you,expands your options.That will range from being able to stay where you choose,to not having to cross a high creek to gain a hut or just plain safety when the weather turns foul.
yes pmcke, a tent is nice if you can share the weight. maybe consider a single skin tent like the Bibler Eldorado. quick and easy to erect, and no fuss with flys/inners etc. but beacuse no fly ya gotta cook in the rain. (unless you fork out extra for a rather unstable piece that zips on the end)
Me & my partner Maria have a heap of tents, flies tarps etc. between us. In addition regular tramping mate JH has a good small two man tent so we can pick & choose to suit expected situations. None of this is modern gear so I won't make a recommendation as what model to buy these days. I'll add that weight isn't that important if you can spread it around two or three people. A big fly is valuable if you are are going to be in the one place for several days or strike bad weather. Maybe you only need a bivvy bag? For years on one or two night solo trips during the summer I wouldn't bother taking a tent or sleeping bag despite owning suitable ones. I'd take a japara bivvy bag & a sheet of polythene. A nest was made out of ferns or tussock & a bivvy & groundsheet out of the polythene. I'd sleep inside the bivvy bag putting on spare clothes as necessary to regulate temperature. Just last month JH & I camped out a night due to a river being up & we didn't have a tent with us. Unlike the old days I did have the luxury of a hip sized sleeping mat & sleeping bag though. We were very comfortable!
and on top of all this... a bivy bag is ideal when someones injured. wrap them in sleeping bag then zip them up. waterproof, breathable, warm and easy to carry out.
this thread is absurd. This website clearly needs alot of work, dont get me wrong I'm not hating (or volunteering..), just making an observation. Ok, light weight tents. Anyone on here actually know of any?? Lightweight is under 1kg for single person now folks, its like 2011.
How to win friends and influence people......! Perhaps a sightly more constructive criticism might help to get your point across a little better......! Just a thought......from one of the 'old school'
What's absurd? I don't follow.
What is wrong with this thread,i have a light weight tent one person 1.2kg i got it from kathmandu in Auckland great tent no problem carting it round in my pack
I've responded on the other thread about MontBell products. The Zelt which accommodates 2 intimitely weighs 240g and you can buy an overfly for another 240g. The ultralight Dome weighs 760g and is a single skin. It is a 2 people structure. I have an earlier version, the MontBell Hexagon which is a 2 layer, 2 person tent weighing all up 1.5kg but would now weigh about 1.3kg with MontBell's innovations, I should imagine. Frank and I can either pitch it as a fly, or as a 2 layer tent or even just the inner tent alone as it is multi-pitch.
By absurd I meant, its absolutely full of duplicate posts???? like pages of them. Hey tents though.. check these out: http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/Our_Awards/Terra_Nova_Laser_Photon_-_The_Worlds_Lightest_Tent.html I have seen them sold in nz. Very light, but pricey.
31–40 of 78

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by awalker
On 21 February 2009
Replies 77
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown