Tent Choice

I'm about to purchase a new tent and looking for some recommendations. I'm pretty sure I want to get a Vaude because I can get really good deals on them. Sometimes I walk with my partner and I'd rather buy 1 tent which can be used as a 1-2 person than buy a 1 person for me then a 2 person for when we both go. I'm based on the West Coast so water proof is going to be one of the bigger deals. My main concern with the Vaude's is there isn't enough fly space at the front for storing packs/cooking. Weight is also a pretty big deal as I often travel with my dSLR camera and lenses so I try and save weight where I can. Has anyone had positive/negative experiences with Vaude? Is there anything in particular I should be aware of? Any feedback appreciated.
78 comments
11–20 of 78

I was in a MacPac shop at the weekend and was intrigued by a new tent in their range, the Macrolight http://www.macpac.co.nz/shop/en_nz/shop-by-activity/trekking/trekking-tents/macrolight.html It is like a Microlight but has 2 poles, giving more headroom, has 2 doors, weight 2kg and is a little larger so they call it a 2 person tent. But I think you would have to be fairly intimate. Looks like a good option for those who think the Microlight is too small.
Specs on the website do not look overly impressive to me.... It is only 100g lighter then a Minaret and is less compact. The main advantage seems to be 15cm extra width and slightly cheaper.
Yes, I guess you are right. But it does have 2 doors which the Minaret doesn't. But I was thinking of it more as a slightly larger 1 man tent.
Yeah the second door is of same use. But imo it does not live up to the 'light' part of its name. I can not see anything in it which would make it stand out compared with other 2 people tents on the market.
Had a look at a Marco lite in real a few days back, I did not have a Minaret to compare it against but from memory it does look quite a bit more spacious.
If it has the usual 10000mm waterhead (rubberised)floor in it that has previously been a characteristic of MacPac tents then it,no doubt has some advantage over other similar options.
Just out of interest pmcke do you carry the Tent and a sleeping mat. I suspect it would depend on the time of the year needing more insulation during winter.
I have a tent, usually my Microlight and I always have my sleeping mat. It is a shoulder to knees one. Some people like the full length ones but they are very bulky and your feet don't need the insulation and your head is usually on something you use for a pillow. I use that all year round. I am afraid my old bones don't sleep as well as they used to and I need all the comfort I can get.
Not a trick question I have been in plenty of places now that would stand a night out and the bivvi bag is a bit confining. The whole tent question means more whieght which i struggle with then the mat where does it end.
I have concluded that a 1 man tent is probably as good a value weight wise as a bivy bag. Most people who use a bivy bag have a small tent fly as well to give a bit more shelter. When you combine the weight of tent and fly you won't be too far off the weight of a 1 man tent. A tent however will cope much better with windy conditions than a fly plus there is a lot more heat retention in a small tent.
11–20 of 78

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by awalker
On 21 February 2009
Replies 77
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown