Tent Choice

I'm about to purchase a new tent and looking for some recommendations. I'm pretty sure I want to get a Vaude because I can get really good deals on them. Sometimes I walk with my partner and I'd rather buy 1 tent which can be used as a 1-2 person than buy a 1 person for me then a 2 person for when we both go. I'm based on the West Coast so water proof is going to be one of the bigger deals. My main concern with the Vaude's is there isn't enough fly space at the front for storing packs/cooking. Weight is also a pretty big deal as I often travel with my dSLR camera and lenses so I try and save weight where I can. Has anyone had positive/negative experiences with Vaude? Is there anything in particular I should be aware of? Any feedback appreciated.
78 comments
41–50 of 78

The posts are duplicated because every year or so it gets a new birth of life, someone asks a question and none of us can be bothered reading what we previously post and just repeat our experiences again... hence duplication.
1 deleted post from apandaranolyxym
I think that might be partly to do with the obscurity of the 'Start a new thread' link, just going by the number of times I've seen people write that they can't figure out how to start a new one so they're posting into an existing one.
Terra Nova photon. Yep, 1 person tent using silicon nylon. Not sure what the inner is made of. MontBell doesn't have a mesh inner and uses Ballistic nylon which is very strong so it would be warmer.
"MontBell doesn't have a mesh inner and uses Ballistic nylon which is very strong so it would be warmer" Hey are any tents warmer than each other??? I thought that came down more to mats and bags etc...? And does anyone else have a Montbell down bag made from this ballistic stuff? I do and I believe it has breathability issues big time. I am a warm sleeper but sweat like fcuk badly inside my alpine#1 even in winter. I find I have to sleep with the zip completely open or I wake up soaking, its like sleeping in a plastic bag. I would be keen to hear from others who have montbell bags....
1 deleted post from AVmusclepainrelief
Hi Damon My brother's got one, I'll ask him if he has breathability issues. Mesh inner tents aren't as warm. Lydia Bradey told me that one year, her clients in Mongolia were supplied with American tents that used a mesh inner and they suffered for it.
Hi Honora Those weights for Montbells look outrageous. Did you get them in NZ or buy online from an overseas supplier? Do they condense or sweat? I am trying to get my tent weight down (have hubbahubba for two at 2kg)but have seriously been thinking of just going back to a really light fly. Not that rainproof but with accurate weather forecasting and a trip above the sandfly zone - why not.
What a hassle it was for me to buy one. I couldn't get one on the net and had a look around in Seoul, Korea to no avail. Finally a Japanese work-mate who tramps said she'd get me one on her next trip. But now you can buy them through i-climb - a NZ company. Matt - a frequent contributor here - extolls the beauty of using a fly. It sounds waterproof enough if pitched smart and doesn't have the issue of condensation that a tent can cause. I've adapted a square fly to be pitched on the diagonal in a configuration known as the bomb-proof pitch. One end is pitched low and the other end is pitched high and lee to the wind. It can be lowered if required.
Oh yes, and our Montbell does condense. I rigged up a transverse guy rope system to pull the inner walls out with the fly. Strangely enough, their guys are extensions parallel to the single longitudinal pole and we've never used them. I think other designs have better venting system such as that superlight one featured recently the Terranova Pulsar. They also have a mesh inner, I recall so will vent better but not be as warm inside.
"The posts are duplicated because every year or so it gets a new birth of life, someone asks a question and none of us can be bothered reading what we previously post and just repeat our experiences again... hence duplication." um no, I think there is a little more to it than that my friend...
What 'more to it' do you think there is......?
41–50 of 78

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by awalker
On 21 February 2009
Replies 77
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown