Tent Choice

I'm about to purchase a new tent and looking for some recommendations. I'm pretty sure I want to get a Vaude because I can get really good deals on them. Sometimes I walk with my partner and I'd rather buy 1 tent which can be used as a 1-2 person than buy a 1 person for me then a 2 person for when we both go. I'm based on the West Coast so water proof is going to be one of the bigger deals. My main concern with the Vaude's is there isn't enough fly space at the front for storing packs/cooking. Weight is also a pretty big deal as I often travel with my dSLR camera and lenses so I try and save weight where I can. Has anyone had positive/negative experiences with Vaude? Is there anything in particular I should be aware of? Any feedback appreciated.
78 comments
21–30 of 78

Being a young fit and very attractive fella I carry a Kathmandu basecamp 25 retreat tent.3 kgs but very good. Its a 2 person tent but I did fit in 3 people. I am using in alpine and bush and it hasn't failed. I also use my 1 man ex nz army fly which is good. I don worry about a bivy bag i use my pack liner as a ground sheet or a bivy bag for some reason it does not get a lot of condensation in it Matt ------------------------------------------------------------ www.lewis-matt-tramping.weebly.com
Just a correction to my last post. I meant "When you combine the weight of a bivy bag and a fly..."
When i was younger a sleeping mat was unnecessary and i couldn't justify the weight, bulk or cost but i think it becomes more of a necessity for comfort as you get older. As pmcke suggests a 3/4 length mat is adequate most of the time. I have only ever used a 3/4, even on the snow, as i can always put my pack under my feet or curl up a little. The sleeping mat will on average contribute about 5 degrees to your sleeping system but it does depend on the 'r' value of the mat. A die cast pattern in the foam will permit a more compact mat but will allow more heat loss into the ground.
TO make my 3/4 mat a bit longer I use a bit of snow foam(the old mats) then you can also use it to sit down on wet ground etc...
Yo, Matt, you might want to delete this Russian rubbish above. And remove polkarkouu and Fedinchikov_S - they're obviously not into tramping like we all are.
Deleted. Generally the easiest thing for you to do is to click the "Report inappropriate content" link above. Better systems to come....
I had a Fairydown Assault (good tent but a bit heavy) so I got a MSR Hubba Hubba. 2.1kg. Great so far and so light to carry. I like that you can just take the fly and use your pack liner under you. I also have a 1 man bivvy tent and a 3 person fly to cover all eventualities. I swear by my Macpac pinnaccle sleeping bag which has the down on the top and a sleeve for your mat underneath. (Compressed down gives no warmth)I use a 3/4 air mat with this. In winter I use another light bag inside which gives me the equivalent of 1000gms of down
2 deleted posts from Effexenrermk, virginiabeachroofing
WTF..........???
2 deleted posts from zonemayana, effoneeJunc
Okay. enough of huge tents. how about we consider going light ? just imagine all the extra food and fuel you could carry instead of a huge, wet, hard to pack-up tent ?!! just use a goretex bivy bag, nice PHD sleeping bag and a good full length mat. there you go lads - a light, warm and easy to pack up piece of kit :-)
I agree, tent size should be small. My MacPac Microlight weighs 1.6kg. A gortex bivy bag probably weighs half that but I would sure rather be in the tent in heavy rain and wind than a bivy bag. Some people with bivy bags have a tent fly as well. That brings the weight up to about the same as the tent but I think I would still rather be in the tent. My MacPac Olympus is 3.2kg and provides very roomy accomodation for two. The weight penallty is the same per person as the microlight. My love of tents has been forged by many wet nights in inadequate shelter. I prefer the comfort of a good, well made lightweight tent.
21–30 of 78

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by awalker
On 21 February 2009
Replies 77
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown