Fiordland or Nepal??

* Note: Posted in The Campfire as opposed to Tracks etc, as it doesn't specifically pertain to NZ tracks.... Well, it seems as though I won't be going on Survivor. Haven't heard anything, and probably should have by now. Will need to make a better video for next year. So, faced with a decision as to what to do over the winter months (May to August)..... I've thought about South America, as previously mentioned, but I'm inclined to tack that onto next year's Alaska/Canada trip to make one epic adventure. So the options that most appeal to me are (no particular order): 1. Complete remaining Great Walks (and do the not-yet-ready Pike 29 Memorial Great Walk), as well as a few fairly decent tramps (Dusky; North West/Southern Circuits of Stewart Island; George Sound; Hollyford/Pyke loop, any others I can fit in). 2. Spend the entire winter in Fiordland. Do the aforementioned Fiordland Tracks, plus some off-track stuff, including packrafting, fishing, a bit of hunting. 3. Go to Nepal for between 2 and 3 months, trekking to my heart's content! (Plus a bit of whitewater rafting, and of course cultural experiences thrown in for good measure). Things to take into account: 1. I work for Real Journeys, so transport to most of the Fiordland tracks (and Stewart Island) would be free. 2. I'm aware that I'm endeavouring to undertake these Fiordland/SI options on the fringe of/in the middle of winter. 3. Cost will be roughly the same. I have a hut pass, tent, and sleep in my car when needed, so accommodation is sorted for options 1 & 2. But fuel is expensive. Food here is a LOT more expensive than Nepal! Can comfortably live on $40-50 a day in Nepal, including accommodation/travel expenses etc. (Minus airfares, which will be about $1200). 4. Options 1 & 2 would allow me to supplement with some income (I'm pretty sure RJs are keen to offer me a casual winter contract, for starters). 5. I can only be out of NZ for x number of days (about 4 months) in each calendar year for the next two years in order to remain eligible for citizenship. So I would go to Nepal for 3 months max, meaning I can work an extra month before going. 6. I didn't do my tax return last year, and know I'm owed about $600. This year should be the same or better. 7. Regardless of anything (logistics/cost etc), 2017 MUST be epic! :D Any thoughts? Advice? Anyone with extensive experience trekking/traveling in Nepal? I think for either of these options $5-6K in total should be sufficient for 3-4 months of adventures (until work starts up again in September). At any rate, it can't be more than that, because that's the maximum I'll have. :D I need to decide by Wednesday night. This fortnight's pay is either going on my credit card or flights. ;) Cheers in advance for your thoughts/advice!
81 comments
31–40 of 81

@kreig coming home May 19th all going to plan, will just miss you. My experience with AMS was not pleasant but taught me some valuable lessons. I like to hoon up things at lower altitude, just need to stop and admire the views more often above 4000m (which isn't too hard to do if I'm honest). Have also booked an extra night at Lukla on the way up to kick start the process.
Yeah I'm with you Hutch. I'll spend an extra night in Lukla, and will take my time around (up!) the tracks. With 9 weeks, and a rough plan to do only two or three treks, plus hit some epic white water, I have the time to be slow and sensible about things. Plus my fitness is NOT where it should be for hitting 5-6K passes, so I'm probably not going to have much of a choice but to go slow! :D At any rate, it's going to be the one thing it needs to be; EPIC!
9 weeks! Lucky bugger :-D
Decided I'm going to bus to Jiri and start walking from there. Will add a week, but a week at 'lower' altitudes will help me. :)
Like hutchk said take it easy up the hills once you gain a bit of altitude. I found it hard the 1st few times I went. I was very fit and didn't want anybody to pass me going up the hills (big mistake) When I had a guide he went that slow up the hills I just about kept losing my balance and I had no problems with the altitude.
Coming in from jiri is tough work. There is far more up and downs than from lukla to base camp. I would think hard about that if not not at optimum fitness.
@robertbrown glad it wasn't just me! I made the exact same mistake, blitzed past everybody on the way up (to the point my guide gave up and just pointed me at the next stop each morning), then paid for it big time. Lots of lemon ginger tea stops this time around :-D
An old man taught me early in my tramping days the pride comes before the fall. Those are very true words for trampers especially fit ones.
Yep, I'm just cruisin' for these 9 weeks. There'll be no 'blitzing' on my part! :D Also, I'm taking a bivy with me, so if I'm going even slower than the distance between teahouses (I've got no idea), then I'll just rack out somewhere. ;)
Reminds me of the German guy I trekked with. He bought a bivvy bag the whole way with him for the purpose of staying over night at EBC. Well suffice to say it stayed in his pack and we retreated back to the freezing tea house in Gorak Shep. Don't worry about the bivvy bag bro the teahouses are littered everywhere, and if they aren't there it's probably not a good place to kip.
31–40 of 81

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by Kreig
On 28 February 2017
Replies 80
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown