Fiordland or Nepal??

* Note: Posted in The Campfire as opposed to Tracks etc, as it doesn't specifically pertain to NZ tracks.... Well, it seems as though I won't be going on Survivor. Haven't heard anything, and probably should have by now. Will need to make a better video for next year. So, faced with a decision as to what to do over the winter months (May to August)..... I've thought about South America, as previously mentioned, but I'm inclined to tack that onto next year's Alaska/Canada trip to make one epic adventure. So the options that most appeal to me are (no particular order): 1. Complete remaining Great Walks (and do the not-yet-ready Pike 29 Memorial Great Walk), as well as a few fairly decent tramps (Dusky; North West/Southern Circuits of Stewart Island; George Sound; Hollyford/Pyke loop, any others I can fit in). 2. Spend the entire winter in Fiordland. Do the aforementioned Fiordland Tracks, plus some off-track stuff, including packrafting, fishing, a bit of hunting. 3. Go to Nepal for between 2 and 3 months, trekking to my heart's content! (Plus a bit of whitewater rafting, and of course cultural experiences thrown in for good measure). Things to take into account: 1. I work for Real Journeys, so transport to most of the Fiordland tracks (and Stewart Island) would be free. 2. I'm aware that I'm endeavouring to undertake these Fiordland/SI options on the fringe of/in the middle of winter. 3. Cost will be roughly the same. I have a hut pass, tent, and sleep in my car when needed, so accommodation is sorted for options 1 & 2. But fuel is expensive. Food here is a LOT more expensive than Nepal! Can comfortably live on $40-50 a day in Nepal, including accommodation/travel expenses etc. (Minus airfares, which will be about $1200). 4. Options 1 & 2 would allow me to supplement with some income (I'm pretty sure RJs are keen to offer me a casual winter contract, for starters). 5. I can only be out of NZ for x number of days (about 4 months) in each calendar year for the next two years in order to remain eligible for citizenship. So I would go to Nepal for 3 months max, meaning I can work an extra month before going. 6. I didn't do my tax return last year, and know I'm owed about $600. This year should be the same or better. 7. Regardless of anything (logistics/cost etc), 2017 MUST be epic! :D Any thoughts? Advice? Anyone with extensive experience trekking/traveling in Nepal? I think for either of these options $5-6K in total should be sufficient for 3-4 months of adventures (until work starts up again in September). At any rate, it can't be more than that, because that's the maximum I'll have. :D I need to decide by Wednesday night. This fortnight's pay is either going on my credit card or flights. ;) Cheers in advance for your thoughts/advice!
81 comments
41–50 of 81

I'm looking to find trekking partners, but if it doesn't work out, I'm going solo. Just feeling out Nepal this time round, doing the "highway" treks; I'll get a good idea of the more off-the-grid ones I want to go back to do later. What are people's thoughts on total solo trekking? I've read a number of people have disappeared/been murdered, but hey, when it's my time, it's my time. And I lean more towards the renowned warmth of the Nepalese. Plus, I'm a loveable guy. :D Personally, I don't reckon it will be a problem, or a calculated risk at best, but what are the thoughts of those of you who have been there SINCE the earthquakes? Am I being too cavalier? Regardless of intentions/plans/vague notions of what I might like to do that I have now, I'll suss out the "feel" once I get there. But of course, I do absolutely always appreciate the wisdom and experience of Tramper NZ regulars. :)
Solo is the way to go. But you need a tims card to do it. You get them at some office in Kathmandu. There are many guarded checkpoints along the treks that will check you. It's a cool memento. You will be turned back without one. I went solo. At the airport in lukla a nervous young German guy needed my help. He was as fit as hell and also solo so we decided to do the trip together as we were both doing the passes route. We went a few weeks before the peak season so had the place kind of to ourselves. The only people we passed along the way we're Sherpa and porter getting the place ready for the onslaught. By the time we were making our way back from base camp we started to pass the huge hoards of guided Trekkers heading in. It just looked horrible to us. They say burdening your load on a locals back was how they make their money. Well not for me mate. I carry my own pack. Just make sure you buy lots of food and things when in the teahouses to help the economy . So many people told me I need a guide. That I wasn't allowed to trek alone. But I just ignored them and it was the best thing I did. Just imagine having a Himalayan mountain valley to yourself, well you and a smelly dreadlocked German guy lol. It's a magical experience. It's so much more rewarding doing it yourself. Carrying your own gear and navigating your own way, and it's not hard navigation these are routes the Sherpa have used for hundreds of years. We could go where we wanted when we wanted. We would often just stop on the trail and climb some random spur for a few hundred metres just to get some special never seen stunning vista. We even stumbled upon a hermits meditation hut hundreds of metres above the valley floor one day. Kathmandu and Nepal are very safe for solo people. They can be in your face but are very warm and peaceful people. Namaste and a smile get you along way.
My partner (now wife) and I did the walk from Jiri and it was the first time she had ever carried a pack on her back. Sure we didn't walk fast, and she got some decent blisters, but it was an awesome part of the overall walk, nowhere near as many tourists as above Lukla, and accommoadation was ridiculously cheap - this was 1998 though. We met other independant walkers on the bus and started out with several of them, until we were left with just an Italian women who ended up completing the whole 28 days with us. So as part of the overall experience it was just as worthwhile as the above Lukla part and it sounds like you have the time to do it. Also, while the intention when we started was to walk to EBC, we heard from several people on their way down who said if you can make only one then go to Gokyo valley instead, which we did and it was awesome views from Gokyo Ri, so I recommend that as well.
Whilst I agree wholeheartedly with the comments above re unguided treks, I do enjoy the novelty of having someone else take care of the the 'admin' - arranging flights, booking accom, buying permits etc, particularly when I'm paying a local company to do it. Something else to consider - when I needed a helicopter I was in no state to arrange it all (as you're probably aware, no proof of insurance or payment in advance in Nepal = no chopper) and having an experience trekking company back in KTM to take care of the process was an absolute godsend. Just another take on things.
blog about the three passes http://www.halfwayanywhere.com/trails/three-passes-trek/day-1-lukla-to-monjo/ second the statement about insurance, my brother in law ended up with bronchitis at 6000m and a long walk out, he was with a guided company that looked after him. without a guide, insurance or a lot of cash on him, he could have died...
Here's my take on guides overseas. Everything that can happen to you there. Minus altitude problems . Can happen to you here. Do you ever contemplate getting a guide before a three day hike across the Tararua mountain tops? No? Is that because you have developed the skills necessary to plan and accomplish your goal. Apply these skills anywhere you wish to go. Agreed. Get insurance that covers you and a plb. For me part of the fun is the months of planning and organising. Logistics is a major part of the fun for me when it comes to tramping. It's not that hard to do it yourself. Tramp is the same where ever you go. By the way my avatar is me on the cho la pass that's cholotse on my right and ama dablam in front.
@gaiters what a fantastic picture - I'll be there May 11th :-D
I'm not getting a guide. Not this time. But it looks like I am meeting up with fellow trekkers, so that shall suffice. As a medic, if I have the right medication, I am able to self-diagnose and treat accordingly. I also carry a suture kit, so if I slash myself open I can Rambo it. Anything more than the realistic potentials, well then hey, brown stuff happens! I can think of worse places to die than the top of the world. ;)
I also always go to the travel doctor before as well. Make sure you get the appropriate shots for travel to Nepal. There is also a comprehensive list of medications I take too. I took altitude sickness pills as well they seemed to work for me. I'll try and dig out my list if that helps you.
Other mistake I made last time : taking diamox with me, then not using them. Dumb dumb dumb.
41–50 of 81

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by Kreig
On 28 February 2017
Replies 80
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown