Fiordland or Nepal??

* Note: Posted in The Campfire as opposed to Tracks etc, as it doesn't specifically pertain to NZ tracks.... Well, it seems as though I won't be going on Survivor. Haven't heard anything, and probably should have by now. Will need to make a better video for next year. So, faced with a decision as to what to do over the winter months (May to August)..... I've thought about South America, as previously mentioned, but I'm inclined to tack that onto next year's Alaska/Canada trip to make one epic adventure. So the options that most appeal to me are (no particular order): 1. Complete remaining Great Walks (and do the not-yet-ready Pike 29 Memorial Great Walk), as well as a few fairly decent tramps (Dusky; North West/Southern Circuits of Stewart Island; George Sound; Hollyford/Pyke loop, any others I can fit in). 2. Spend the entire winter in Fiordland. Do the aforementioned Fiordland Tracks, plus some off-track stuff, including packrafting, fishing, a bit of hunting. 3. Go to Nepal for between 2 and 3 months, trekking to my heart's content! (Plus a bit of whitewater rafting, and of course cultural experiences thrown in for good measure). Things to take into account: 1. I work for Real Journeys, so transport to most of the Fiordland tracks (and Stewart Island) would be free. 2. I'm aware that I'm endeavouring to undertake these Fiordland/SI options on the fringe of/in the middle of winter. 3. Cost will be roughly the same. I have a hut pass, tent, and sleep in my car when needed, so accommodation is sorted for options 1 & 2. But fuel is expensive. Food here is a LOT more expensive than Nepal! Can comfortably live on $40-50 a day in Nepal, including accommodation/travel expenses etc. (Minus airfares, which will be about $1200). 4. Options 1 & 2 would allow me to supplement with some income (I'm pretty sure RJs are keen to offer me a casual winter contract, for starters). 5. I can only be out of NZ for x number of days (about 4 months) in each calendar year for the next two years in order to remain eligible for citizenship. So I would go to Nepal for 3 months max, meaning I can work an extra month before going. 6. I didn't do my tax return last year, and know I'm owed about $600. This year should be the same or better. 7. Regardless of anything (logistics/cost etc), 2017 MUST be epic! :D Any thoughts? Advice? Anyone with extensive experience trekking/traveling in Nepal? I think for either of these options $5-6K in total should be sufficient for 3-4 months of adventures (until work starts up again in September). At any rate, it can't be more than that, because that's the maximum I'll have. :D I need to decide by Wednesday night. This fortnight's pay is either going on my credit card or flights. ;) Cheers in advance for your thoughts/advice!
81 comments
11–20 of 81

the flight to nepal will happen with or without Kreig, he isnt responsible for all the jets emissions, they are shared so they are a lot less per person than four years of car use. Do you walk to your tramps Honora? Kreig does the vast majority of his travelling locally and therefore i think does his bit to minimise pollution, especially compared to the average person living in the modern world. I dont see anything wrong with him going to nepal.. start another blog on pollution and leave him alone if you want to lecture people. most people arent doing enough to save the planet as it is, lecturing kreig on one international flight is just ridiculous. I'd worry more about cruise ships, th average ocean liner emits as much sulphur as 20 million cars, not to mention the carbon emitted, ever bought anything made overseas? well guess what it has to get shipped here by polluting machines. living a modern life in NZ is going to be polluting to the planet whether you like it or not...
I'm booked for another 4 weeks in Nepal, flying out April 29th (EBC, Gokyu, faffing around in KTM). Incredible country - really gets under your skin. I'd go every year if time and wife would allow :-)
Have you done EBC and the cho la pass before hutchk?
@Wayno: I don't know what precipitated your offensive response to my post. Kreig asked for advice and I provided some that is relevant. This scientifically determined information may be of interest to others on this forum.
Hmmm..... Well, I don't have the time (or inclination) to swim/walk there, so I guess I'll be taking an evil plane. ;) Please don't attack each other; I didn't take Honora's post to be having a go at me, so it's all good anyway. :) Now that I've decided to go, and have determined I'll have 9 weeks there, any suggestions would be appreciated. The only ones I know about are Annapurna Circuit, EBC, and epic rafting. Any other tramping gems would be much appreciated!
i dont thoink my response is offensive, thats the way you interpret it, i'm responding to the information you provided which I"m trying to show is actually incorrect, we can agree to disagree but I think your post could also be construed as ofensive, depends how you want to interpret something... it can look judgmental when you try and tell someone they shouldnt do something because its "bad" for the "envionment"
Krieg there are tons of tramping routes in Nepal. But the 3 passes EBC (you have to do the cho la pass) and Annapurna circuit with the base camp trek tagged on would be a great way to start off in Nepal. Pokhara is a great place to base yourself for rafting and the Annapurna. Lonely planets trekking in the Nepal himalaya is a great book to get.
@gaiters nope - tried in 2015, got AMS, got choppered out. Going back for a second crack at it and doing things a little differently this time (overnighting in Lukla before I start, and sloooooowwwwwwinggggg dowwwwwwwn). 59 days to go!
Bummer slow and steady wins the race with that altitude. It makes a real big difference. Good luck this time.
Flights booked!!! So, here's the skinny..... My contract officially ends 30th April. Pushing for a few extra weeks' work, but if I don't get it, well, I'll smash out Dusky and maybe hit up Stewart Island. Fly to Auckland the 27th of May. Going to the Broncos v Warriors game that evening. 28th, fly Malaysian Airlines to Kathmandu; 13-hour layover in Kuala Lumpur. No big deal though, as I know KL pretty well and will wander into the city for awhile. Once I get to Kathmandu, I'll probably hang there for a few days, check the place out. I'll also look at weather, opportunities for adventure, and decide on the fly exactly what I'm going to do, and when. I shall at the very least do an epic rafting expedition, and a crap-load (yep, that's a technical term) of trekking! I'll have the time to take things slowly. I imagine AMS bites the big one. I do not want it. No sireee! So, ego will take a back seat, and I'll simply listen to my body. If it takes me twice as long do a particular trek compared to most people, I don't care. Fly back to Auckland on the 29th July. Have to be back in Te Anau mid August, so will probably rip down to the Tararuas for a sneaky week or two on the way back to the Mainland. ;)
11–20 of 81

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by Kreig
On 28 February 2017
Replies 80
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown