Fiordland or Nepal??

* Note: Posted in The Campfire as opposed to Tracks etc, as it doesn't specifically pertain to NZ tracks.... Well, it seems as though I won't be going on Survivor. Haven't heard anything, and probably should have by now. Will need to make a better video for next year. So, faced with a decision as to what to do over the winter months (May to August)..... I've thought about South America, as previously mentioned, but I'm inclined to tack that onto next year's Alaska/Canada trip to make one epic adventure. So the options that most appeal to me are (no particular order): 1. Complete remaining Great Walks (and do the not-yet-ready Pike 29 Memorial Great Walk), as well as a few fairly decent tramps (Dusky; North West/Southern Circuits of Stewart Island; George Sound; Hollyford/Pyke loop, any others I can fit in). 2. Spend the entire winter in Fiordland. Do the aforementioned Fiordland Tracks, plus some off-track stuff, including packrafting, fishing, a bit of hunting. 3. Go to Nepal for between 2 and 3 months, trekking to my heart's content! (Plus a bit of whitewater rafting, and of course cultural experiences thrown in for good measure). Things to take into account: 1. I work for Real Journeys, so transport to most of the Fiordland tracks (and Stewart Island) would be free. 2. I'm aware that I'm endeavouring to undertake these Fiordland/SI options on the fringe of/in the middle of winter. 3. Cost will be roughly the same. I have a hut pass, tent, and sleep in my car when needed, so accommodation is sorted for options 1 & 2. But fuel is expensive. Food here is a LOT more expensive than Nepal! Can comfortably live on $40-50 a day in Nepal, including accommodation/travel expenses etc. (Minus airfares, which will be about $1200). 4. Options 1 & 2 would allow me to supplement with some income (I'm pretty sure RJs are keen to offer me a casual winter contract, for starters). 5. I can only be out of NZ for x number of days (about 4 months) in each calendar year for the next two years in order to remain eligible for citizenship. So I would go to Nepal for 3 months max, meaning I can work an extra month before going. 6. I didn't do my tax return last year, and know I'm owed about $600. This year should be the same or better. 7. Regardless of anything (logistics/cost etc), 2017 MUST be epic! :D Any thoughts? Advice? Anyone with extensive experience trekking/traveling in Nepal? I think for either of these options $5-6K in total should be sufficient for 3-4 months of adventures (until work starts up again in September). At any rate, it can't be more than that, because that's the maximum I'll have. :D I need to decide by Wednesday night. This fortnight's pay is either going on my credit card or flights. ;) Cheers in advance for your thoughts/advice!
81 comments
51–60 of 81

Did you use it as a prophylactic or treatment?
I fully recommend taking diamox as prescribed. It is good for altitude sickness.
people vary graetly in their reactions to diamox, its been around a long time. i went to a talk by graeme dingle on climbing on everest, he took it and swore by its results but some other members of his party got very sick on it... one of the group members blamed it for him loosing a lot of weight and physical condition. I'd try it out before you go on your high altitude trip to make sure it does help you. https://www.drugs.com/sfx/diamox-side-effects.html
Nah. I'm not taking an AMS medication when I'm not dealing with AMS. Or altitude, for that matter! :D I'll just take it with me. I'm just curious; some take it as a prophylactic, others only for treatment. Interested in know who's taken and when, and the outcome....
Man it's hard to remember but I did take diamox while doing the 3 passes trek. I started taking it the day before leaving for lukla or something like that. I had no side effects, just a little cotton mouth. I did the trek without any ill effects to altitude. I spent 3 days in gorak shep. 5 or so days above 5000m. Man it's hard to remember to be honest. But I was taking them. I got bad toothache in namche took some antibiotics and it cleared up, nothing to do with a.m.s though. The next year in the Andes my partner came, she took diamox without Ill effect. We got up to 4750m then. She had no ill effects from the pills or the altitude . I didn't take them that time. I had no ill effects from altitude. There is other things you must get shots for though hepatitis etc etc. it's a third world country it's pretty nasty in Kathmandu .
As ex-Navy, I've been vaccinated against almost everything you CAN be vaccinated against! I'm even vaccinated against rabies for life. :D I had one dickhead doctor fight me against one vaccination (can't remember which one, but it was just before traveling), so I just administered it myself. Actually, I've somehow managed to do this a couple of times. See the doctor, get script for vacc, pick up vacc from pharmacy, administer myself. (I do NOT recommend doing this! I was a medic and have administered thousands of vaccinations). Actually, I'm trying to find if there's anywhere in Nepal I get involved by volunteering at a vaccination clinic or something. Not paying to volunteer though. Will happily pay for food etc, but I'm paying a fee to give my time. I'd rather buy a village a yak than pay some organisation for the privilege of volunteering to help locals.
I took Diamox to Mongolia but didn't need it so donated it to the guide's medicine kit.
Does anyone have any Diamox they don't plan on using? I realised that I actually have everything else I need. Don't need to see a doctor at all if I can get some Diamox.... ;)
heard about the tents people use to simulate high altitude to aclimatise before they head off on their trips?
If you are keen to do some volunteer work have a look what this person is doing. Om is one of those people who is full of life and is doing a lot to help out those less fortunate. You will have heaps of laughs and see what village life is like in Nepal which you don't get while trekking https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000184098901
51–60 of 81

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by Kreig
On 28 February 2017
Replies 80
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown