How many packs do you own? Be honest now!

The other day, I was trying to find more room in the wardrobe for a day pack and thought about the number I currently own. Admittedly it's rather a lot but I'm careful with gear so it covers a good many years... each has a specific use and I always research and choose carefully when buying a pack. While I compile my list, would anyone care to give an inventory of the packs they currently own? Size, model, use, condition and comments.... Thanks :-)
34 comments
21–30 of 34

Yeah, great packs. My boys have one each too.
We have 2 an old FirstLight, not sure of size but is quite large. Had it for ages got it to travel overseas in my younger days. Recently have brought a 2nd hand Osprey Luna75 a womens pack. I have yet to use it as my boys somehow always comendeer it leaving the old pack for me. They love it, fits great and is comfortable (apparently). So yes another happy Osprey owner. Other people I come across at huts love their Ospreys too.
I met woman doing the TAT one time (Gumboot Annie). She had an identical Osprey to mine but she had removed the internal frame. Big mistake. I put her pack on and it was awful. The dense lumps were hanging all over the place.
@ Honara - Why in the god's name did she do that? Just trying to shave weight?
some people will do anything to save weight....
Interesting that no one seems to have tried out the roll top exped Lightning. My partner and I both have one we think they are that good. A 60lt pack that's 1 kg an amazing frame that makes it feel like your carrying nothing even with a full pack. A single opening and no bits and pieces dangling everywhere. Pretty water tight too.
@gaiters I tried one of those on at Bivouac and was very impressed. They didn't have one in my size though and I was in a hurry so ended up with an Osprey Aether - also a very nice pack (apart from it creaking when I have a decent load on....)
The exped packs did catch my eye, but I already own too many packs...
Macpac Torre 90L (80’s - new harness, original hip belt- Fantastic pack, but hardly use it now) Macpac Ascent 70L (Bought on clearance, never used it & probably never will) Macpac Pursuit 50L (2001- My go-to pack for most trips, Tough as boots) North Face Exocet 30L (Late 90’s - old climbing day pack- Good, but has an unusual lid design and narrow throat) Millet Prolighter 30L (new climbing day pack – Brilliant) Macpac Tekapo 25L (90’s - great wee pack, general use and tramping day pack) I bought the Ascent on a whim($150)but will flick it on TradeMe someday. What I really need is something lighter and around 65L for longer trips, so all the good feedback on the Osprey 65L got me thinking …. until I looked at the Exped Lightning at Bivouac. Cheers Gaiters :) Impressive design, nice clean lines and very light, especially as a climbing multi-day pack. Just waiting for a sale price that’s better than my 15% AC discount.
Started with a wooden framed Trapper Nelson dear God. Bloody awful, fortunately I busted the frame one day and that was that. Every possible design flaw incorporated into one wretched bag. Then an external framed Mountain Mule that was almost as bad. Probably caused me long-term injury to my neck and shoulder. An Alp Sport Expedition internal frame was my first proper pack. Made a big difference, did a lot of trips with it but I never really got fond of it. Still hurt to carry it more than a few hours. A classic MacPac Ravine came next and I still have it. Great pack, a clean tidy design that is a credit to the original designer. Then about 15 years ago I got my first Aarn Featherlite Freedom and I've never looked back. Brought several more since. They won't suit everyone, but I'm unlikely to ever consider changing away.
21–30 of 34

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by JETNZ
On 14 February 2017
Replies 33
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown