How many packs do you own? Be honest now!

The other day, I was trying to find more room in the wardrobe for a day pack and thought about the number I currently own. Admittedly it's rather a lot but I'm careful with gear so it covers a good many years... each has a specific use and I always research and choose carefully when buying a pack. While I compile my list, would anyone care to give an inventory of the packs they currently own? Size, model, use, condition and comments.... Thanks :-)
34 comments
11–20 of 34

26L day/overnight pack, 380 grams 47L Osprey Talon 44 (yeah it's 47L despite the name), 1050 grams. That's all, don't need more :)
Some people need to declutter! I've joined Freecycle. It's easy to flick off excess gear but it's given away for free of course. Sometimes tramping clugs have gear auctions. It's risible seeing what people think others are prepared to pay money for. You'd have to pay me to use that old rubbish...
I thought the 5 in this house a bit much? But I have nothing on some of you people. Still got a Trapper Nelson frame, first pack I ever bought back in 1963-64? The actual pack bit disintegrated totally about 10 years ago whilst packing rocks from river to car.
@honora: So why don't you ever use your new Aarn pack?
@Ian_H: I guess the main reason is there's nothing wrong with the Ospreys. Another thing is that my little home-made front pockets (Sandal bags tied on to the front straps with shoe laces) are a lot easier to access with the vertical zip and I carry less in there so it's easier to find stuff. The right pocket (blue) has a hat, neck muff and bandana plus sunnies. The left pocket (yellow) has gloves, overmitts and a snack. The Aarn pack front pockets are sturdy but fiddly with that top zip and I end up putting too much stuff in them as they are a lot roomier than the sandal bags. I think I've got used to the Osprey set up. Also the Osprey has an airier back mesh to keep my back cooler. I imagine the Aarn would be a lot more comfortable with a reasonable weight of gear in it. I'll try it out for the Stewart Island or maybe Hollyford trip in Autumn. I've liked the Aarn very much on the 2 previous occasions when I borrowed one from Aarn. I think if I was transitioning from say a Macpac to an Aarn, I'd appreciate the Aarn Pack a lot more but the Osprey is such a great pack and I can pack it so that when I stand up straight, there is no weight pulling me back. The Go-Lite taught me to pack heavy stuff against my back and lighter stuff e.g. downie, on the outer side of the pack's inner if you know what I mean.
Thanks Honora, I did NW Stewart Island with the kids before Christmas, started with about 26 kg in my old homemade pack (big bag with closed cell foam stuffed down the back), a bit of a shock after a few years of doing 3 day trips carrying a 5kg pack. The 10 days with kids went well but I started to think I might need something more sophisticated if I'm going to do more trips carrying 25kg +
I've just the 3 - my 26L day walk pack and my mid 80s Torre, which I use as a loaner. My main pack is an older style 75L Macpac Glissade which I was going to replace when the harness rotted, but ended up replacing the harness for $50 a couple of years ago. I really like it, as it has the detachable lid, so you can drop the pack and do little sidle trips with just the emergency gear, water and snacks. I also have 2 x 8 litre attachment pockets, which I bought with the Torre, so on longer trips (I do 7-9 day trips in the South Island) I add those to it - very handy for lunch, snacks etc.
The number of packs I have seem endless. If I'm going to bush bash, my original 60l Macpac Ravine will do the job. Still can't believe that pack weighs only 1.8kg. Other than that Osprey Exos 58 & 48. Osprey Talon 22 and Talon 11. For climbing I have a Black Diamond Speed 40.
The packs I use for tramping Osprey 50l Atmos (older model, average) Osprey 65l Atmos (new model, awesome) Osprey 44l Talon (average) Arc'teryx 80l Bora (awesome) Karrimor 25l (rubbish)
Can't believe how many packs people have. Great to see so many Ospreys out there. I see when people buy one, they usually buy another. Which is exactly what I did. I actually bought one for a niece then bought myself 2.
11–20 of 34

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by JETNZ
On 14 February 2017
Replies 33
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown