How many packs do you own? Be honest now!

1–10 of 34

The other day, I was trying to find more room in the wardrobe for a day pack and thought about the number I currently own. Admittedly it's rather a lot but I'm careful with gear so it covers a good many years... each has a specific use and I always research and choose carefully when buying a pack. While I compile my list, would anyone care to give an inventory of the packs they currently own? Size, model, use, condition and comments.... Thanks :-)
Litres 5 - salewa bumb bag, short walks cool weather. several yhears old, used a lot. good condition 7 macpac 24hr Amp. summer half day walks. few months old, had problems with previous model. replaced under warranty, coroding zipper. new model has non coroding zipper. use it on a lot of weekends,, good condition 14 - lowe alpine lite eclipse - longer day walks, cooler weather, good condition, used several times, no problems. 18 - black diamond, (discontinued) holiday, flying, travel pack 22 - black diamond, nitro bad weather, half day walks. solid pack, used a fair bit over several years, no problems, has dynamic shoulder straps atached to each other through a tube, so one lengthens and the other shortens as you walk, really comfortable 30 - waterproof, vaude, heavy rain day walks, solid pack, good condition after several uses 35 - lowe alpine eclipse bad weather long day walks, used several times, good condition, good solid pack. comfortable. 45 - black diamond (discontinued)- long day walk, winter / overnight summer . 60 - black diamond infinity (discontinued). overnight, warmer weather multi day. has dynamic shoulder straps atached to each other through a tube, so one lengthens and the other shortens as you walk, really comfortable. used it a lot, has pivoting hipbelt, really comfortable for walking with mediumweght loads up to 15kg... wore a small hold in the pack from the moving hipbelt after a few years of use... taped it up. 75 - black diamond mercury - multi day cooler weather, very solid pack . has dynamic shoulder straps atached to each other through a tube, so one lengthens and the other shortens as you walk, and pivoting helpbelt, really comfortable. 90 - macpac, cascade, multi day winter. bombproof pack, good condition...
Osprey Rev 1.5 and Osprey Rev 6: Mostly use them for trail running or day tramps. Got them due to the Osprey excellent warranty, and plus they were on clearance. Aarn Marathon Magic: Too big for a day pack, too small for a overnighter. Vaude Pack: Lightweight, use to be my day pack, now my fishing pack. Mammut Creon Pro (38L): Very comfy pack. Use it for overnighters, especially in winter when I need to take my ice axe. Cactus Miklat: (40L). I use it for travelling (fits in check in), and use it for hikes with a lot of scrub bashing (made from canvas). Osprey Exos: (61L) Ultralight pack, rarely use now. Not comfy enough. Would sell it.. but doubt I would get much for it. So keep it to loan out. Aarn Featherlite Freedom (69L): Awesome park, had for about a month, very comfortable to wear and carry a load. Aarn Pack: large capacity, was my main tramping pack for a while, was replaced by the Featherlite. Too big really. Intend to sell one day. Great Outdoors Skyhawk 85L: Was a gift, first pack, used it for travel and some tramping when I was a student. Rarely used now. Harness not right for my back. Macpac Cascade (90L): Use it to carry very heavy loads, for example if I am setting up a fishing base camp for a few days. Travel pack also.
Included hubbie's packs in this list. It covers MTB and tramping and although sometimes purchased specifically for walking or biking, they do cross over. But not always.... 3L Camelbak Octane XCT hydro pack (2015). MTB, running, fits water bladder and a bit of gear so quite versatile. x2 15L Kathmandu Mirage (90's) Daywalk, hydro pack, extremely well made, no reinforcing in back. x2 14+3L Vaude Hyper-Air (2013). MTB. Aeroflex back, no faults but shoulders straps squeak (fixed). x2 18L Macpac Kahuna (2016). Urban daypack. Won it in a photo comp. 25L Exped Cloudburst (2015). Daywalk. To be used on mult-day tramps as lightweight waterproof pack for side-trips. Great concept which works well. x2 28L Osprey Manta (2013). MTB/daywalk. Hydro pack. Air-speed suspension. Great pack, no faults or flaws. Not really big enough to carry all the tramping club's 'required' gear. [Mens]. 26L Osprey Mira (2013). MTB/daywalk. Hydro pack. Air-speed suspension. Great pack, no faults or flaws [Womens]. 30L Kathmandu Katabatic (early 2000's). Daywalk, no construction faults but internal back panel has warped over time and is now too uncomfortable for more than a couple of hours. x2 30+5L Vaude Bike Alpin (2015). MTB bike-packing/daywalk. Aeroflex back, versatile. Very well made and super comfortable. 34L Osprey Stratos (2015). Air-speed suspension. Day tramps. Superb pack, a little narrow inside. Used as tramping Club daypack along with Aura. [Mens]. 35L Osprey Aura (2015). Air-speed suspension. Day tramps. Superb pack, comfortable but open-weave fabric just soaks up any moisture - needs regular reproofing [Womens]. 44L Osprey Talon (2014). Day tramp/overnight. Was to be for MTB bike-packing but back is a spine destroyer. Confined to day tramps. Really uncomfortable when full. Disappointing. x2 65L Osprey Viva (2015). Multi-day. 1Kg lighter base weight than the 65L Macpac. Very nice pack but squeaks sometimes. Packed with features. 65L Macpac Torlesse (2010). Multi-day. To replace the Torre. Great pack but heavy base weight. x2 65L Macpac Torre (1982). Multi-day. The one and only canvas bomb-proof pack. Many happy tramps in comfort… this pack has history. Recently given a new lease of life with new lumbar/shoulder straps/waistbelt foam. Tends to be used for track maintenance now so carries mattocks, loppers etc.
Holy crapola Batman!! You lot own a whole bunch of packs! I have a Hunter's Element something-or-other (about 40L I think). Only two and a bit years old. Piece of @#$! pack! Haven't used it a lot, but it's already busted. The skirting at the top with drawstring ripped (not overfull), so I ripped the whole bloody thing off. A few buckles have already been replaced, and the chest strap gives me the absolute irrits! However, I can adequately carry all I need for a week's tramp in it. I'm about to ditch it. Really want this particular pack, but it's EXPENSIVE, so gonna have to wait. I'm most likely replacing the Hunter's Element next weekend with a Kathmandon't. Not normally something I buy, but with my job I get 65% off the range, which makes a stupidly expensive, not-worth-it pack, affordable and barely worth it. :) The HE will just be a training pack; one I load up with rocks/sand/water and walk/climb up hills with. Recently gave away my great Tatonka pack, the one I walked the NI TA with. I have some el-cheapo 15L day bag. It's crap too. :D Will also probably replace it with a Kathmandon't. And that's it. I live out of my car; ie, I live minimalist! ;)
I have an old mountain mule pack, it was my dads and I cut my teeth with it. A karrimor 60lt which I used for years and did me just fine, now my 12 year old uses it. A Exped Lightning 60lt, which is what I use 99% of the time, best pack in history lol. A macpac cascade 90lt for when the Exped don't cut it, which is a fair bit now that I'm carrying twenty nappies five body suits, wipes, bottles formula etc etc etc. My missus has an Exped Lightning 60lt also and the boys both have macpac kids tramping packs but the oldest now uses my old 60lt, cause he's big and strong and needs to help his old man haha.
It slipped my mind, but I also own a large 'pack' made by Sporasub... It is basically a dry bag with a basic harness, I use it to carry and store my spear fishing gear. Good if I want to walk several km for a dive.
Only 3 and 1 I never use: a new Aarn Pack. My 2 others are Osprey Exos's and are so comfortable and practical that the new pack just sits there. I was thinking of loaning it to a gf but she's off to China with her horrendous Macpac. The Ospreys are 46L and 54L I think. But of course I have my sandal bag front packs on there too. The 54L pack is big enough for a 10 day trip on Stewart Is. which is why I bought it. Lighten up, people. I had a 600g Go-Lite but I love the mesh on the back of the Ospreys whereas the GoLite was too hot on my back when I had hot flushes so I got a heat rash. Interesting how many people have the 90L Macpac Cascade. It makes sense if you're a tramping parent or using it for other purposes. And they can be fixed if they wear out with the heavy loads.
Should of done this a wee while ago, the herd has been substantially culled now. I use four packs with any regularity. 2002 Kathmandu prototype 40 litre roll top pack - based on their shortlived Hamilton adventure sport pack but made from VX51 fabric. Weighs less than a kilo, still my goto pack for any trip into the hills from full day trips to 1-4 nights. Amazingly tough, and very high quality workmanship, even after 14 years still no wear or faults. Perfect for bushbashing with its low and narrow profile. My son uses this pack when we head out as a family. 2005 Golite Gust 70 litre ultralight frameless pack, 650 grams modified with compression straps and hipbelt pockets. Used for longer trips 4-7 days or for winter trips or when both kids were younger. Can be a challenge to pack and carry properly unless you are used to having most the weight on your shoulders. No-name brand 10 + 2 litre bladder hydration pack. Short duration trips 1/2 day max for tramping/MTB. Gossamer Gear Rukus 40 litre ultralight general purpose daypack for everything else (work, daywalks, carryon baggage etc.) Without foam backpad, it's used as a summit pack/stuffsack. Also in the gear closet: 1950's Alexto Trapper Nelson - ~50 litre canvas bag with wooden frame and unpadded leather shoulder straps (do have foam shoulder pads). Was my father's, used it when I was a kid as my first pack. "Borrowed" it again for a retro tramp a few years ago, still in really good condition, but not the most comfortable to carry. Early 1990's Macpac Torre - 85 litres - Brought this pack when a student at Canterbury University, done more tramping miles with this pack than any other I have. Has had some major repairs done. Not used these days as it is too large and has suffered the normal Macpac harness rot again. Will get fixed again one of these days when a big long tough South Island wilderness trip beckons. Early 2000's Macpac Ravine - 65 litres - brought when I started lightening the load. Simple, tough. Now the wife's pack when she comes tramping. One Planet Traverse 45 litre alpine pack. Adjustable harness makes it perfect for my daughter as she grows. She loves this pack, I'm never getting it back. Lets not do headlamps, that would be very embarrassing if the wife saw that post...
Hmmm. The main ones. Two tents (use to be three but just sold one) Five headlamps (One is covered in grease, so not used) Two gas cookers Four billys. Three sleeping bags Three sleeping pads. Five insulated jackets.
1–10 of 34

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by JETNZ
On 14 February 2017
Replies 33
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown