How many packs do you own? Be honest now!

The other day, I was trying to find more room in the wardrobe for a day pack and thought about the number I currently own. Admittedly it's rather a lot but I'm careful with gear so it covers a good many years... each has a specific use and I always research and choose carefully when buying a pack. While I compile my list, would anyone care to give an inventory of the packs they currently own? Size, model, use, condition and comments.... Thanks :-)
34 comments
31–34 of 34

Designs have changed so much over the years. For all the Trappers faults it was magic compared to the A frame packs that were a step up from the frame less packs before that which were little more than a canvas bag on string. Do you remember the accessory shoulder pads that made them almost bearable. Do you remember purple shoulders after every trip. First bags with waist straps helped a lot but this waist strap was to stabilize the bag not shove most of the load onto your hips so still your shoulders did all the work. I did so many tramps with gear like that and because I had a 100 litre bag I took far more than I should of. My first real pack was a external frame pack from a department store. Even had the American hiker style separate sleeping bag compartment. I stiched that pack up and repace all the back webbing but eventually broke the frame. It was a good pack and only weighed 1.5kg which in 1980 was good for 100l. Then came a Hallmark pack of about the same size for the next 10 years. I bought that pack for $5 from a garage sale for my son to use at scouts but took it back when he wasnt using it Sold it on trademe for $10 and bought my first modern style pack off trademe for $20 stitched the bottom of one of the side pockets and used it for 5 years then sold on trademe for $40. Brand was High Definition. The previous owner had bought it in Italy but Ive never found anything about the brand. Was the most comfortable pack Ive ever owned until I bought the Macpac Torlese I have now. Everyone knows that pack so I wont comment too much but why does this pack have 2 zips that let you open the front of the pack?
I've yet to own a pack where the chest strap hasn't failed in some way. This strap is quite important, so when it fails, it really gives me the irrits! That's including my Tatonka, my Osprey 34L I hiked 5 months through SE Asia with (to be fair, it was the only thing that failed), but still gave me the irrits, as without this strap, everything changes. Anyone know of a tried-and-true pack where the chest strap doesn't: a) pop off its rail b) slide up or down c) break buckles? Pack comfort and functionality changes significantly with a failed/constantly shifting chest strap..... :(
@Kreig: sorry, can't help. I've never had a problem with a chest strap or any strap come to think of it. If the stitching looks a bit suspect, out comes the dental floss and needle.
I can't say I have ever had any problem with chest or any other straps, more like to wear through the bottom due to dragging the rear end over rocks too often. Mine and the packs.
31–34 of 34

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by JETNZ
On 14 February 2017
Replies 33
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown