Farming and stuff

1–10 of 30

This thread branched from "Forest & Bird wins Ruataniwha dam appeal" on . Explore the branch.

I'm branching this topic because it's completely left the court decision on the Ruataniwha land swap. .... @geeves: "Artificial meat has been around for 10 years or more under the name tvp. Its made from soy. How many times have you willingly eaten it? I suspect not many. Its even sold dehy so ideal for tramping but still we wont eat the stuff." On the other hand, various food additives have been around for ages and everyone eats them unless they go to conscious and difficult effort to avoid the massive portion of processed foods they're in. Maybe you'll still buy cow's milk in a bottle for home use in NZ, where you actually know and care that you're using milk, but if milk can eventually be produced synthetically such that it's chemically identical, or close enough, there are plenty motivations for upstream manufacturers and other food providers (cafes, restaurants, fast food) to use it. It's probably far cheaper, it'll be easier to modify chemically to avoid people's allergies, it'll probably have a better long term reputation for good hygiene (and so be preferable for every industry with food safety obligations), and likely a better environmental record. That risks completely undercutting the bulk of the global dairy industry in a matter of years if it gets going. I read the Fed Farmers response to all of this from when it hit the news a couple of years ago. It's basically "it's not real and not proven and so we're completely un-worried". http://www.newshub.co.nz/business/nz-farmers-not-worried-about-artificial-milk-2014071307 Andrew Hoggard wrote a lengthier mocking tribute at http://www.fedfarm.org.nz/publications/opinion-editorials/article.asp?id=1716 He seems to be mocking it on the grounds that "stuff like this has never worked before", but doesn't really address details of what science might actually be doing when he's not looking. It mightn't become an issue, but the response didn't inspire me with confidence that Fonterra has any strategy nor clear understanding that the global industry it's participating in isn't entirely about milk.
There's truckloads of money to be made if science can synthesize milk in bulk. Scientists will be funded to try and make it and as long as they keep trying. The chances of them succeeding increase. Fonterra try and write it off because they couldn't work out how to do it. And they stand to loose a fortune if another organisation does it
genetically modified milkweed fun
I recall some of the nurses at work were giving a doctor there a hard time because she had a carton of soy milk in the fridge. Not sure why, maybe because it was different. Anyway I pointed out that at least soy milk doesn't have pus in it unlike cow's milk - somatic cells, anyone? However I'd rather drink the cow's milk myself.
Oat milk is becoming popular. Certainly is the most like milk in terms of taste...
Not heard of oat milk but in light of your other post. How do they make it?
We drink Vitasoy Oat Milk but you can make your own. Just oats blended with water and pressed through a cheese cloth... add a bit of vanilla if the oat flavour is too heavy.
Interesting. Anyone tried DIY rice milk? Assume it's just blended runny rice pudding with a bit of oil in it (why?). Anyone know how its made?
Ok. Felt guilty for being lazy & googled it. Soaked rice (not cooked) blended 4:1 with water. bit of sugar/honey/maple syrup if you want sweet. Will try & report when current tetrapack runs out.
Tried Vitasoy Rice Milk. Ok but too sweet and watery. We bought pretty much all their offerings over a month to try and decided Oat was the nicest. Think I'll try both Oat and Rice DIY...
1–10 of 30

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by izogi
On 5 September 2016
Replies 29
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown