Farming and stuff

I'm branching this topic because it's completely left the court decision on the Ruataniwha land swap. .... @geeves: "Artificial meat has been around for 10 years or more under the name tvp. Its made from soy. How many times have you willingly eaten it? I suspect not many. Its even sold dehy so ideal for tramping but still we wont eat the stuff." On the other hand, various food additives have been around for ages and everyone eats them unless they go to conscious and difficult effort to avoid the massive portion of processed foods they're in. Maybe you'll still buy cow's milk in a bottle for home use in NZ, where you actually know and care that you're using milk, but if milk can eventually be produced synthetically such that it's chemically identical, or close enough, there are plenty motivations for upstream manufacturers and other food providers (cafes, restaurants, fast food) to use it. It's probably far cheaper, it'll be easier to modify chemically to avoid people's allergies, it'll probably have a better long term reputation for good hygiene (and so be preferable for every industry with food safety obligations), and likely a better environmental record. That risks completely undercutting the bulk of the global dairy industry in a matter of years if it gets going. I read the Fed Farmers response to all of this from when it hit the news a couple of years ago. It's basically "it's not real and not proven and so we're completely un-worried". http://www.newshub.co.nz/business/nz-farmers-not-worried-about-artificial-milk-2014071307 Andrew Hoggard wrote a lengthier mocking tribute at http://www.fedfarm.org.nz/publications/opinion-editorials/article.asp?id=1716 He seems to be mocking it on the grounds that "stuff like this has never worked before", but doesn't really address details of what science might actually be doing when he's not looking. It mightn't become an issue, but the response didn't inspire me with confidence that Fonterra has any strategy nor clear understanding that the global industry it's participating in isn't entirely about milk.
30 comments
11–20 of 30

I have them on rotation as they all get a bit tedious after a few months...currently almond + coconut blend tasting OK...but if someone makes fake milk I'd empty the shelves
@SianS - can I ask why you don't drink milk if you like it so much? Presumably fake milk would still have the lactose & fats of the real thing, so I'm puzzled as to why the fake stuff would be preferable.
@madpom Vego since 12yo. I still drink milk and eat cheese occasionally but I try to limit it. That was really just a comment on how unappealing some of the alternatives taste...especially in coffee
With you on the coffee. Rice milk is great in smoothies tho ... roll on summer. Veggie and dairy free: gotta hand it to you for commitment.
Coffee is an interesting one. I like white coffee. Why is it that many companies make fairly nice (ok passably nice) 3 in 1 coffees although all are too sweet when one has become used to no sugar in coffee. However I have not found a suitable substitute for the whitener that allows me to mix my own sugar free 2 in one coffee. Milk powder turns into lumps when boiling water is added and every non dairy whitener Ive tried tasted like drinking dishwasher powder. Maybe I have to change to black coffee
1 deleted post from madpom
agreed @geeves once you've tried all the shitty substitutes suddenly black coffee is like pure gold
@Geeves Try dissolving the milk powder up in a small amount of cold water, then either add boiling water, or add more cold water and boil.
I know that method but I was trying to make a mix so I could just put say 2 teaspoons in a cup and add water. If its a day walk and your water is in a thermos. cold water would be a second water bottle. I know methods like these work but I issue is that the 3 in 1 makers can do it with just boiling water Why cant we
@geeves. I bet you there's an additive for that. But do you really want to drink all this lot everytime you want a coffee? Maybe black wouldn't be such a bad idea ... Ingredients (Nestle Café Menu Latte): Sugar, Skimmed Milk Powder (20%), Glucose Syrup, Coconut Oil, Instant Coffee (8%), Lactose, Natural Flavourings, Salt [Sodium Chloride, Anti-Caking Agent (E535)], Acidity Regulator (E340), Stabilisers (E331, E452) Mind you, at least it's: 'Free From Artificial Flavours'
Coffee could be extinct by 2080, report says http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/food-wine/83880551/coffee-could-be-extinct-by-2080-report-says
11–20 of 30

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by izogi
On 5 September 2016
Replies 29
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown