camera gear

time for an update I upgraded from a canon g1x to a micro four thirds olympus em5, they are being replaced and the price was heavily reduced in price, picked it up with a 2.8 14-40 pro lens. its bigger and heavier than the g1x but still a lot more compact than an slr and the same quality as all but the top end slr's couldnt be happier with the image quality. its pretty comparable for image quality with the em1 but the em one has more controls for on the fly changing of settings and a better hand grip on it.. looks like a toy version of an SLR, but i'm amazed with the image quality. lens does great macros. theres a new em5 coming out with a new sensor shift technology that gets 40mp shots but needs a tripod to attain that setting. i've used SLR's in the past and got sick of carying the weight and bulk of them, they can be overkill for a lot of photographers. but i was missing the much greater functionality and setting control the slr camera had over the g1x. The em5 has a lot of the functionality of an slr, electronic viewfinder, lot of information on the viewfinder, can make a lot of adjustments , and numerous different shooting setting options, to all in tents and purposes it is a small slr. Olympus Zuiko lenses are as good as they come for image sharpness. the camera and lens are all weather sealed as well. olympus have recognised the market for outdoors people looking for a quality compact camera they can use in all sorts of weather. the em1 is even rated for low temps as well. still its bulkier and heavier than your compact format cameras, you have to weigh up whether you're willing to carry around a camera of that weight and size, its 1.3kilos all up, the camera and lens weigh 900gm, some slrs camera bodies alone weigh that before you put a heavy zoom lens on it.. my last slr kit was about 2.5 kilos. i've also got a sony rx100 as a backup, i use it for video to spare the main camera battery and when i'm not so fussy about image quality, at 250gm and pocketable its a highly portable, camera with a one inch sensor rated as the best advanced compact camera around. has its limitations though hence the em5. comes down to how fussy you are with the photos you want and how much gear you think its worth toting around... are you a tramper who takes photographs or a photographer who tramps....
46 comments
21–30 of 46

Re the use of umbrellas. Clearly it is not for everyone, but I have used one successfully when conditions are suitable for years in most of the South Island parks. Craig Potton recommends them too incidentally.
Your reassurances, references to recommendations from experts, and direct successful experience are no match for my staged and out-of-context photograph, which utterly disproves them.
lets just say, for such relatively modest sized mountain ranges, the Tararua weather tends to punch well above its weight...
I dont know if its still true but the second wettest place in the country (annual rainfall) is the southern Tararuas beeten only by Fiordland. Also the highest windgust was held for a time not far from Masterton

This thread branched to "the wettest place" on . Explore the branch (2 messages).

camera buying guides http://www.dpreview.com/buying-guides
I use a Lumix DMC-FH4. The reason being it is a very light, thin camera which only cost $90 at Dick Smith a few years ago. The photos are great and it has enough options to give me good control in varying light conditions. Having said that I usually leave it on auto and everything works out fine. Last time I looked this particular model has been replaced by something similar with a different model number. I keep it dry by putting it in a ziplock plastic bag in the pocket of my pack waist belt. I also have a hard case for it if needed. The only extra I bought for it on Ebay was a bigger capacity battery. I now have a 1400mah instead of the 680 it came with. The bigger battery will last a week provided you stick to photos and not video. Easy enough to carry an extra battery anyhow. I get peace of mind knowing that if I drop it in a river I've not lost alot of money and being small it's easy to get out for a quick photo.
you may think the photos are great on a cheapie compact, but the higher spec cameras out now put out absolutely stunning photos. with incredibly clear and detailed images.. depends how fussy you are about the images you want to take.
With reference to the comment at the start of this discussion, I guess I'm a tramper who takes photos and not a photographer who tramps.
For me the most important thing when taking a camera tramping is to have it available all the time. I have lost many good shots because my camera was stowed away in my pack. About a year ago I bought a Canon M with a 22mm pancake lens. I am able to have it on the shoulder strap of my pack in all but the worst conditions. It is a bit heavier than my old point and shoot but the difference in picture quality is amazing (APS-C sensor). I sometimes take a digital SLR and accessories but find that the bulk rather than the weight is a bit of a drawback
At the end of the day it's whatever works for you. thats the best camera to have.... I got sick of carting SLR cameras around, I like to take lots of photos and i prefer the camera slung around my neck, but having an SLR round your neck all the time can et uncomfortable, just the fact theres all that weight and bulk to lug,
21–30 of 46

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by waynowski
On 31 January 2015
Replies 45
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown