camera gear

time for an update I upgraded from a canon g1x to a micro four thirds olympus em5, they are being replaced and the price was heavily reduced in price, picked it up with a 2.8 14-40 pro lens. its bigger and heavier than the g1x but still a lot more compact than an slr and the same quality as all but the top end slr's couldnt be happier with the image quality. its pretty comparable for image quality with the em1 but the em one has more controls for on the fly changing of settings and a better hand grip on it.. looks like a toy version of an SLR, but i'm amazed with the image quality. lens does great macros. theres a new em5 coming out with a new sensor shift technology that gets 40mp shots but needs a tripod to attain that setting. i've used SLR's in the past and got sick of carying the weight and bulk of them, they can be overkill for a lot of photographers. but i was missing the much greater functionality and setting control the slr camera had over the g1x. The em5 has a lot of the functionality of an slr, electronic viewfinder, lot of information on the viewfinder, can make a lot of adjustments , and numerous different shooting setting options, to all in tents and purposes it is a small slr. Olympus Zuiko lenses are as good as they come for image sharpness. the camera and lens are all weather sealed as well. olympus have recognised the market for outdoors people looking for a quality compact camera they can use in all sorts of weather. the em1 is even rated for low temps as well. still its bulkier and heavier than your compact format cameras, you have to weigh up whether you're willing to carry around a camera of that weight and size, its 1.3kilos all up, the camera and lens weigh 900gm, some slrs camera bodies alone weigh that before you put a heavy zoom lens on it.. my last slr kit was about 2.5 kilos. i've also got a sony rx100 as a backup, i use it for video to spare the main camera battery and when i'm not so fussy about image quality, at 250gm and pocketable its a highly portable, camera with a one inch sensor rated as the best advanced compact camera around. has its limitations though hence the em5. comes down to how fussy you are with the photos you want and how much gear you think its worth toting around... are you a tramper who takes photographs or a photographer who tramps....
46 comments
11–20 of 46

Another option is a bag/case with an optical quality aperture so you dont have to expose the camera to the elements to take a shot The below link is a search page on aliexpress with a few options http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20150201003618&SearchText=waterproof+camera+bag
there are eVent dry bags, waterproof and air permeable. bivouac sold them, http://www.bivouac.co.nz/sea-to-summit-evac-dry-sack.html look for a weather sealed camera... that's what my Olympus is. or get a fully waterproof camera. put some rice in a dry bag if you're going to get a camera bag, take your camera into a shop and get it sized correctly, its easy to get an incorrectly shaped bag because of the sheer variety of cameras now, and buy the bag from the shop, not that you wouldn't... since you're taking their time and using their stock for sizing,
Thanks for the ideas. I'd forgotten abou the waterproof cases. I generally prefer to go for a camera I can get to take photos I like before looking for waterproof/shockproof ones, which narrow down the choice a lot. I figure I can just look after it without dropping it for the shock-proof side, but avoiding taking it out in the rain isn't something I want to do. Does stuff like eVent and Gore-Tex even work if you don't have a heat source inside? I can't remember the theory behind them, but for some reason I'd thought the breathing for things like raincoats had something to do with body heat. A camera wouldn't have that.
With all waterproof cases or bags - put the camera in dry, with a desicant (rice works) and seal it. Don't open it. Having said that - I've never had to own my own case or bag. In the hills I carry the camera nestled in a travel towel in a dry box (clippitt case bought in the supermarket). Out in heavy rain a plastic bag with the end of the lens poked through a stretched hole works like a rain coat for the camera. The towel claims most of the moisture when returned to the case, and gets dried out at night. and I wish I had something better for all those great shots I've missed in storms.
I simply carry a light travel umbrella on week-long trips, with a clamp that holds it to the tripod. Total weight = ~250g. Disconnect the umbrella when shooting so that the wind doesn't move the tripod. Works well. Alan
hmm an umbrella in the tararuas. never seen one of those there before... might have something to do with the extreme wind?
I can confirm that it doesn't work very well. https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5085/5267716511_1475eed085_n.jpg
How much water does it take to kill a camera? My fuji something complete with unshrouded usb ports on the outside was protected only by its factory bag when I took a dunking in the orongaonga riverThe bag had to be rung out but the camera didnt complain
I have managed to completely submerge two cheap point and click cameras in the last six months and both were working again perfectly well after a few days drying out.
"How much water does it take to kill a camera?" I had a point and shoot camera a couple of years ago that got wet from the rain and still worked perfectly fine afterwards. When I dried it out, however, water had gotten inside and dried on the inside of the camera lens leaving lovely water spots which were impossible to remove. Took photos fine, the photos just weren't worth the pixels they were made of!
11–20 of 46

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by waynowski
On 31 January 2015
Replies 45
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown