Whats everyone got planned?

I know that we have had this type of thread before but I figure seen as there isnt much happening on this website at the moment I just thought I would ask what everyone is up to, Have ya got anything planned for the weekend or training ya self up for a big tramp during the summer? Just thought I would see what everyones up to, its good to read about other peoples tramping trips plus it also gives ya a few ideas for tramping trips of your own.
341 comments
251–260 of 341

Thanks for the tips pmcke and bigpaul.The weather wasn't playing the game so will give it a go another time.
Walked this section last March. 'Cashmore Clearing' is a misnomer. Continuous felled tree debris covered by a good layer of re-emergent scrub. Slippery clay soil underneath and huge hidden ruts on the track. Rather unpleasent, all up. Certainly don't recall any spots big enough to pitch a tent which weren't covered in vegetation or water.
Coromandel, Te Puru track to Crosbies hut Sunday. Back out same way Monday. Its been a while, so hoping the body does not protest too much.
You might meet pmcke on the trail, he's going to Crosbies Hut. I am going into the Manganuku Hut, which is in the Waioeka Gorge area.
Probably won't see FrankB unless he arrives at the hut early. We are going in from the Kauaeranga Valley on Saturday and back out the same way Sunday. FrankB will be glad he isn't there with us because we are taking a mob of high school kids. I will have my tent!!
Wont hit the track until just after 08:00. Meeting up with Hogsnort at Thornton Bay. Think Sunday night will be a quiet night at the, compared to what Saturday might be from pmcke's description.
If there is anyone who is keen, to join a West Coast Alpine Club Trip to a random destination during the first week of the school hols please let me know. The trip is yet to be decided on. Where would anyone like to go? I've only had one "bite" from the club members so far. The rugby must be more important.? I'll check this site in a day or so...not sure if sharing phone numbers on the site is ok ?
There is a camping site on Cashmores where DOC pulled out a hut several years ago still a wooden platform left from memory it was the only dry piece of ground
I did once camp there near the hut when the hut was still there. I was camping on top of a couple of logs and the stream was going underneath. Somehow the debris had settled on the logs to produce a flat spot. However thew hut was down a side track and I imagine the hut site would be quite hard to find now.
I am really enjoying the wealth of information provided by this site. I am planning my 2nd trip to NZ in November. Fighting information overload as to which tracks to choose. Does anyone know anything about the Thousand Acres Plateau track? The DOC website says the following: "A large land slip has occurred on the Lake Matiri track between the West Branch of the Matiri River and Lake Matiri Hut. At this stage the track and the surrounding area is highly unstable and dangerous to cross. Visitors are advised to avoid travel into the Lake Matiri area until further assessment can be carried out." I emailed the DOC in Nelson a couple of days ago but haven't heard back. I would like to do a portion of this track if possible. Thank you in advance, from a reasonably fit, but fairly new, tramper.
251–260 of 341

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by Jono51
On 24 September 2009
Replies 340
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown