Do sherpas (or similar) exist in New Zealand?

I am planning to do the Milford and / or Routeburn track in Nov or Dec 2014 with hubby and my 2 boys that don't stop eating (13 and 11 yrs old). Thankfully, tents, stoves and mattress are not required as the boys aren't strong enough to carry very much. Does anyone know of a tramping group or commercial enterprise that will help carry your packs, do food drop-offs or assist with bearing the load???? Docs have not been able to help. Thanks
55 comments
21–30 of 55

Also if you're on the Great Walks or anywhere highly frequented by overseas tourists, be mindful that you'll very likely meet DOC rangers. If they're made aware of you paying someone to carry your stuff then it might seem unusual enough for them to at least mention it to their manager(s) over the radio. It might just result in a "don't do it again" instruction, but it's a bit ambiguous.
um, no from what I've heard they call the cops.
cops would see that as a civil matter and forget the phone rang. Its not fraud or theft or violence unless the ranger tries to assert his authority.
Where did you hear that? They'd probably call the cops if there were something covered under other laws, but DOC prosecutes people and companies quite happily if they're breaking laws which fall under its own legislation like the Conservation Act or the National Parks Act. http://www.doc.govt.nz/about-doc/policies-and-plans/prosecution-policy/ It'd probably be the people making the money who have the biggest problem. If it were seen as a minor thing they might not bother, unless there are lots of people thought to be doing it and/or DOC wanted to make an example.
if DOC cought you they might just issue you with a bill for operating a commercial service in a national park...
I'm not sure if DOC can issue a bill like that for this, and it might need to go through the courts to make anything out of it. I don't think it's like a parking regulation. Maybe I'm wrong. In short, the National Parks Act 60(2)(c) clarifies that it's an offence to be doing something that requires a concession without having a concession. 69B then specifies the penalty for an offence committed for commercial gain can be up to 5 years imprisonment or up to a $300,000 fine or both... or community work. http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1980/0066/latest/whole.html I think it'd be extremely unlikely for a judge to sentence someone to the maximum amount, though, in exchange for carrying someone's pack in exchange for cash without a concession. Under the Sentencing Act they're meant to dish out a sentance appropriate to the severity of the offence. DOC would probably only consider prosecuting if it thought there were a systematic problem with lots of people doing it, or if someone was doing it lots. I guess they also have to consider the fairness aspect with other concession holders. As in, if everyone else has to pay DOC for a concession to do the same thing, or if they're not doing it because they can't afford the concession that's required, then it's pretty sucky for *them* if DOC turns a blind eye towards a competitor doing it without jumping through those hoops.
"cops would see that as a civil matter and forget the phone rang. Its not fraud or theft or violence unless the ranger tries to assert his authority." not sure what you mean, but as Izogi posted above, its against the law plain and simple and yes they do prosecute and quite regularly too. Last guy was a japanese fella who who guiding unpermited, can't recall which tracks but it ended in court. Its like skiing on DOC land (example Remarkables-Rastas Burn) without a valid ski pass. They call the cops. I know, sounds mean and out of control being public land and all but its just the way it goes.
Anyway, who the f*# cares? Fact is, the great walks are there for people who need stuff like this to manage in our great outdoors, and the rest of it should be left to people more capable (or those same people with more experience) nuff said I reckon
Its like skiing on DOC land (example Remarkables-Rastas Burn) without a valid ski pass. They call the cops. I know, sounds mean and out of control being public land and all but its just the way it goes. Is there a specific regulation saying skiing is not allowed on doc land without a pass. My understanding is that the pass is a lift pass and permits you an easy ride up the hill Nothing more nothing less. If the skifield is on public land they cant stop you walking to the top skis in hand. I learnt to snowboard on corenet without a pass although I did hire the board. Was taught by a Scotsman who also did not have a pass.
"Is there a specific regulation saying skiing is not allowed on doc land without a pass." Dunno what the specific thing is in The Remarkables. I thought skiing is okay in most National Parks and Conservation Areas, but sometimes there are bylaws. But according to the NZ Primary Parcels Database at http://data.linz.govt.nz/ the specific bit of land which contains the ski area (or at least the ski lifts) is a Recreation Reserve. (Rastus Burn Recreation Reserve.) This puts its management under the Reserves Act, and not the National Parks Act or the Conservation Act at all. Land under the Reserves Act is often much easier to lock away for public access or to make heavier restrictions. (See http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1977/0066/latest/whole.html#DLM444605 for Recreation Reserve priorities.) If skiing really wasn't allowed then they've probably made bylaws about something to do with skiing. What actually happened? If it were somewhere like Whakapapa in Tongariro National Park, I think the payment only gets use of the ski lift, but they can't kick people out who climb up and ski down by themselves.
21–30 of 55

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Beginners and newbies
Started by leoandianr
On 6 May 2014
Replies 54
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown