Do sherpas (or similar) exist in New Zealand?

I am planning to do the Milford and / or Routeburn track in Nov or Dec 2014 with hubby and my 2 boys that don't stop eating (13 and 11 yrs old). Thankfully, tents, stoves and mattress are not required as the boys aren't strong enough to carry very much. Does anyone know of a tramping group or commercial enterprise that will help carry your packs, do food drop-offs or assist with bearing the load???? Docs have not been able to help. Thanks
55 comments
41–50 of 55

Looking at the articles it was the use of the lifts that was the issue. Snow Park was different as it is private land. It is no longer operating as a skifield but Lyford is the same. They state a policy of no hiking although that is more about controlling where people are as there are unmitigated avalanche risks there. The time I visited there was a 2 metre cornice hanging out from the ridge above the learners area. In reality it would never of got the learners but still pretty close for comfort and I wouldnt want to be in the area beyond the learners. As for the facilities The wife doesnt ski so she just enjoys the sun and company and uses whatever facilities she needs. We take a full lunch and thermos so there are no non ski facilities paid for. a little off topic and not woth a thread branch but "Anyway, I don't have the type of flashy fashion sense needed for skiing or snowboarding, so I don't hang around commercial skifields enough to know what actually goes on." All my gear is over 10 years old except for the helmet. Before you comment on the helmet I thought the same until the snowboard caught an edge in the Ruapeahu ice and did its best attempt on a spear tackle. Dont think I was knocked out for very long but dont know. Wrecked that days boarding.
All I know is that I once needed to buy some ski goggles, and was totally thrown by all the displays I could find in the ski shops around here. Almost no info or emphasis on functionality, while about 90% of the display area seemed to be taken up by fancy brightly coloured designs. :)
A lot of gortex in pretty colours and this weeks fashion but you dont have to wear it. Spend a few thousand on gear if you believe the salesman or keep an eye out for specials and deals you cant refuse. People have laughed at my snowboard which cost me 50 on trademe and boots I got new for 58 from torpedo The company that made the snowboard went bust 20 years ago. They laughed at my old skis but when I upgraded them for 25 on trademe I couldnt even give away the old skis. The tip wouldnt even take them. I had my new skis checked over and was told they were about 10 years old but good nic and the latest version of the same ski is about 1000 retail. My jacket and pants came from Mountain design but Ive had them a while. A nice timeless black and white. Underneath its my tramping gear. Helmet though is the most expensive bit of kit I have. Cant have too many dents in the skull. I get away skiing for 1 week a year Im not investing my life savings in one week a year.

This thread branched to "Fashion branding" on . Explore the branch (20 messages).

(Unlike someone's suggestion in that linked boarderzone thread, it's not automatically legal to jump on a lift because it happens to be on public land.) I never suggested that at all, I said "they call the cops" in regards to guiding, and also if you can't provide a valid lift pass on DOC land (remarks) and they f@*kin do!! 15 seasons here, 3 back to back northern hemi winters at a number of commercial operated ski fields around the world (From Europe to Nth America) I think I might have a little bit of an understanding in regards to what goes on. Not on the fashion thing though, sorry, thats best left to the groms :/
Sure, I'll take your word for it on what actually happens. I'm only going on what I can see in the law and the LINZ data, but there could be other stuff.
I've just sent a query to DOC in Otago to ask if there are any extra rules or bylaws or whatever to restrict public access on Rastus Burn Recreation Reserve. I'll post back here later.
I had a pal whose partner had had a employment dispute with a ski field in a national park. After that, they used to telemark on their field and not use their facilities. The skifield administrator was pissed off but his hands were tied. Funnily enough, in the end my mate was employed a lot running alpine skills courses on their field for the NZ Army etc. Everyone had moved on...
On that Remarkables access, I've heard back from DOC in Dunedin who have confirmed that there's definitely a public access right to the land at the Remarkables Skifield on Rastus Burn Recreation Reserve. Exceptions are for using skifield facilities (like lifts), including the access road, and possibly some temporary restrictions at certain times for safety reasons. @Damon I'd take your word for it that people were evicted by police, but if that was for just being on the land without a skifield pass then I think anyone would be absolutely within their rights to challenge it, and that DOC would definitely like to know the details. Text of DOC's response is: "There are no restrictions on members of the public who wish to enter the Rastus Burn Recreation Reserve and use it for recreation purposes without using the skifield facilities. However, access may be temporarily restricted to some areas for public safety reasons while large scale development works are being carried out. "As you’ve correctly surmised, the skifield company is permitted to charge for the use of its facilities – including the access road."
I lived in Queenstown for 7 years and climbed the Remarks so many times I've lost count. In winter I always got a lift pass if I was feeling lazy but was never bailed up for walking on the slopes, but I did my best to keep out of the way and was never on any of the runs for long, except the fringes of Lake Alta. I initially rang the Ski Ops guys and asked if they minded me being up there and to tell them my intentions. They didn't really care but appreciated knowing that was my car left in the carpark overnight and why.
pre sure I mentioned I was using the lifts in my own experience and had payed for a season pass (actually a national pass, one of only 500 issued that year which covered 17 ski fields in NZ) so yea not hiking at all so not sure where that confusion arose? I see people all the time walking up to lake alta or the telecom towers etc at Remarks and this aint what I'm talking about. I had broken ski field rules, which they felt the cops were going to back up. I reckon they had no clout what so ever either but like I said, I didn't have a lot of choice.
41–50 of 55

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Beginners and newbies
Started by leoandianr
On 6 May 2014
Replies 54
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown