So, where are you tramping over the weekend?

Overniters or day trips. Be interesting to know where we go. The weather looks pretty crappy in general, so there may not be too much going on at the moment. We find it hard to start walking in the rain, but if it happens while we're out there it's not so bad.
218 comments
51–60 of 218

What a magic weekend wandered from Wharawhara road to waitewheta on friday and then back out via cashmore clearing, old north south track and te rereatukahia on saturday. The old north south track isnt recommendered if you like your blood in your body a bit overgrown. Good work out ready for the tararuas on the 2nd of jan
I did about two thirds of the Cashmere track a few weeks back, a long run of ponds, but a great track, keen to get back and do similar to what you did going through to Te Rereatukahia . I did the Whirinaki Loop Friday/Saturday, a very quiet track, only 10 other people on it, expected a lot busier. Where are you going in Jan? I am taking a friend over the Holdsworth - Jumbo Circuit in the Tararuas starting New Years Day. And then hoping to do Zeke's Hut again on the way home.
Southern crossing starting at Waiohine shelter finnishing at otaki
Yep just going into the wilds for 6 weeks that my weekend tramp!
i have a few days off before xmas so a mate and myself are looking at doing a loop in the matemateonga/waitotora area, not alot of people apart from hunters go there and the tracks can be hard to follow but the huts are good and you are really out in the wilderness. be good to get away from the xmas rush for a few days!
Ha so you mean you will be following blazes? blazes ftw, all the blinds/tin lids gone but the blazes are sill exsistant...brg back blazes plz. Don't think there are any huts in the wilderness im going into...or tracks either, should be fun and good to get away from Christmas again...Oban on Stewart Island is also a good place to hide from Christmas...
Doing the St James just after xmas. Can't believe I've never been in there. Was looking at the map, as we do like a challengin day, and wondering if anyone has done or attempted a trip from Ada Pass Hut over the ridge and into the head of the Henry River. From the map it looks like gaining the ridge is no major but the descent is steep. any advice?
Russy, the Waitotaras are our backyard, so let us know if you need anything.
hey there tracking, actually some knowledge would be great, we are planning to start at puniwhakau rd end and go to omaru hut the first night via the old whaka track which we have done before, then go to puteore hut, what is the track like to puteore once you turn off the matemateonga track?, is it a bit overgrown like the track from puteore back to the road end?, we have been to puteore from the road end a few months back and had no trouble, just wondering about the track between omaru and puteore, any help would be great, thanks
Southern crossing here i come weather looks good for this weekend
51–60 of 218

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tramping partners
Started by Tracking
On 4 July 2008
Replies 217
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown