So, where are you tramping over the weekend?

Overniters or day trips. Be interesting to know where we go. The weather looks pretty crappy in general, so there may not be too much going on at the moment. We find it hard to start walking in the rain, but if it happens while we're out there it's not so bad.
218 comments
71–80 of 218

I have to say the temperature is of some concern but if im away early rest up during the day and finnish in the later hours im hoping it wont turn into a sauna like experience which the Kaweka tops can deliver
Theres a trip i wont repeat. Matauria ridge is mostly pinus contorta and as it dosnt let much wind through it was hot. same with Mackintosh ridge. A plus is the upgrade work done to Mackintosh hut just being finnished its now a very pleasant 8 bunker with verandahs. Day two a quick trip out over Kaweka from Studholm saddle hut hard to believe it was summer the clag came down along with the wind and cold enough to start everything freezeing.
we stayed at trains hut last night, cruised in from the road end, intended to go to tahupo hut but we left it a bit late, being sick for most of my week off really got on my wick so it was good to get out into the bush!
Hi Paul, Where did you go in? How long to drive down from North Shore? I have 5 days off at end of Feb, looking for a 4-5 day north island tramp. Might do round the mountain, though what you did sounds interesting. Any suggestions?
Kaweka Forest Park 5.3 to 6 hrs drive from Auckland Via Taupo Napier highway. There are several circuits that you can achieve from the carpark at the foot of Kaweka J. Makahu Saddle hut (4 bunk very tidy) is minutes from the carpark so a late drive down for an early start is comfortable.
yesterday we went for a daytramp to the wanganui river from the aotuhia rd end, geat walk, not that far as the farmer let us take my 4wd over the ridges as far as we could, now my knee cartiledge is buggered after indoor netball last night so wont be tramping for a week or two, bugger!!!
It's a wonder we haven't tripped over each other Russy as we seem to hang out in the same places. We stayed at Aotuhia over Waitangi weekend, stayed in the Shearers quarters, biked to Whanga pub, had a drink, then 20km back again. Next day we did the walk to the Tangarakau and Wanganui river, had a dunk, then we walked to Omaru Hut, down the Kurapeti. Great weekend, heaps to do there.
hey tracking, we are looking at staying in the shearers quarters at some stage too soon and doing one or two of the other walks out there. its a great place to explore, nice and quiet and its a great drive to get there, the old whanga road would be a good ride although i just sold my mountain bike so maybe i will have to get a new one and do it!
Back into the Kaimai Mamaku's 13th and 14th as a warm up for the Tararuas over easter. Probably Thompsons track and Motutapere
Took a group from work into the Waitakeres today for a trip round the Montana, Tram line and Anderson circuit. Excellent as always.
71–80 of 218

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tramping partners
Started by Tracking
On 4 July 2008
Replies 217
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown