So, where are you tramping over the weekend?

Overniters or day trips. Be interesting to know where we go. The weather looks pretty crappy in general, so there may not be too much going on at the moment. We find it hard to start walking in the rain, but if it happens while we're out there it's not so bad.
218 comments
41–50 of 218

Not familiar with the places you mention. Will have to check them out on the map. Havn't done a lot in the Kawekas. When you went over Maungaorangi, how far did the DOC markers go? When I was last there DOC had put poles over Maungaorangi and down the ridge a short way towards the Oamaru. I had heard that someone, probably a jelous hunter, had removed all those poles. Along the bush ridge tops were only marked with ribbon put in by members of the Taupo Tramping Club. This is supposed to be an official track now so wondering if they have got around to marking it all.
Didnt see much in the way of poles it does seem to be an area fraught with tension if the comments in the hut books are anything to go by and i did have a short conversation with a hunter just before cascade who quized me over whether I had been on private land or not. It was an off hand conversation that I didnt pay alot of attention to at the time but I suspect now that he may have crossed the line himself. Interesting that the fire arms code stresses no shooting within 500 metres of a track and so many of them are locked and loaded walking down the track.
Sounds like it might have been Bruce Thompson who is a kind of self appointed Sheriff in the area. He is actually employed by, or works with the blessing of, Air Charter Taupo and roams the area handing out trespass notices. Last time we met up with him he claimed he was employed by DOC but when we started to quiz him more he admitted that he wasn't. But he was certainly a bit lacking for human company. Once he started talking it was hard to get him to stop.
1) what happened to the tramper/s on Mt Egmont recently . Didn't hear about anything. 2) Will be taking 6 students from Poronui Stn on 5- day traverse out over Umukarikari, via Ngapukerua. Was thinking of paying for permits via North branch route.$$$$ but easier than yr new track!? 3) Kawekas...BigPaul: specifically wot huts / route were you thinking?? I've been there a lot.
Appears to be only one hut on this circuit Matauria ridge track, Mackintosh spur, Studholm saddle and Kaweka circuit (Studholm saddle hut) Would it be a big two days
BigPaul: Anything in the Kawekas is BIG. Not sure of where Mataria Ridge is? Climbing up Kaweka J summit takes approx 3 hrs if you're fit, via Trials Spur, from Makahu Saddle & Hut. About an hour down to Studholme Hut from there, max. All other spurs can be climbed to the main ridge between Kaiarahi & Nth Kaweka trig, but they're v steep. Little water up on top. But great camping/ views.
The weather forecast is looking GOOD! We are heading into the Kaimanawas on a workparty to complete the track between Urchin and Umukarikari. See http://www.tramper.co.nz/?3018 Hopefully DOC will be up there this week doing the chainsaw work on the last 600m of track then a small group of us from Taupo and Rotorua will do some tidying up and track marking. This will be a great day circut from Turangi, I will post a track guide when it is finished.
A quick romp through the Kaimai Mamaku's as a warm up for the tararua's southern crossing the first week in January. I think Ive walked everywhere in the park except across the top. In from Carterton over Cone down to Tutuwai over the crossing and out to Otaki. Quite looking forward to it.
Bigpaul, one variation to your planned trip in the Tararuas would be to consider a Middle Crossing: start by climbing Mt Holdsworth, down to Mid-Waiohine up to Aokap, hang a left to Maunghuka. Head south along the Main Range over the tararua Peaks to Bridge Peak then head down the hill to Otaki Forks.
Thanks for the idea. Much of my walking these days revolves around the distance I can get out of my knees in one trip. 3 days is about the limit and keep the ascents and descents to an absolute Minimum. I think adding Holdsworth may just be a little too much. I figure day one to Tutuwai (easy) day two to Kime (harder)and day three take a dyclophanac (seriouse anti-inflamatory) and crawl down to Otaki Forks.
41–50 of 218

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tramping partners
Started by Tracking
On 4 July 2008
Replies 217
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown