Gear talk

451–475 of 654

i must say this is not the same pair i had 20 years ago.these are about 4 years old ,well worn but plenty of life in them.im glad ive gone back to them after trying ...
most of the tracks in the waitaks are mud baths... only a few are without a lot of mud in winter. only a limited no of tracks are upgraded to get rid of the mud, ...
1 2 3
Thanks geeves - that gives me something to work with.
Yes, I've got 3 bags for the varied conditions. The lightest is quite warm (a GoLite) but only zips halfway down so my feet get too hot and I have to lay it over me ...
1 2
Thanks for the report, madpom - very comprehensive !
I understand it's to store duct tape in an easily accessible form and in a smaller quantity than taking a whole roll of the stuff. I just use the old card inner stripped down a ...
Get in touch with the Tramping Bootique. From memory he is based in the Wairarapa. I picked up a pair of Makalus for about half normal retail and they had only been used once.
1 2
I thought they were a great idea when I first saw them. Then I tried some out and learned to dislike them. I almost never zipped off the bottom section anyway, and whenever I wanted ...
1 2
Cheers -- good to know!
I have to say that for as much as I quite like most things about my Garmin eTrex 30, the design of the micro-SD slot seems to be dreadful. Unlike its predecessor (eTrex Vista HCx) which ...
Dealing with AMI is like wiping your backside with sand paper "you do it knowing it's not going to be a pleasant experience"
The app is free but it cost me around $20 to download the LINZ maps for the South Island. I've never used a "real" GPS so I can't say how it compares but, in general, ...
If anyone wants more on the legal background of what's happening, I've written something at http://www.windy.gen.nz/index.php/archives/2517
1 2
Where in the country are you, Pedro? Many clubs have canyoning outings, and will help us point you to a local one.
1 2
you can get US army surplus gore tex online for a couple of hundred , good strong material
1 2 3 4
thre was an agricultural show on tv, they measured the skin temp on teh back of black cows in the sun.. when teh air temp was in the low twenties the cows skin was 52 degrees.
If interested this is now on trade me. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=540273480 If successful buyer is a member of this site I will arrange delivery free of charge.
Inreach looks good. Uses low earth orbit iridium satellites which pass over nz rater than geostationary equatorial satelites which require clear views north. Because it is two way it can let you know if your ...
I recently had to use a new map for the first time (I have a good collections of the old ones). I remembered seeing your instructions on this site and used them to set my ...
The Hexagon is poorly ventilated and I got 2 additional side guys put on to pull the side walls out away from our faces. In fact I've never used their guy ropes supplied but heaven ...
1 2 3 4
Cheers
I bought a microlight from the second batch ever made, used it from coast to glacier, from here to the himalayas .... personal and professional trips ... tropics, deserts, westcoast rainstorms, very strong winds, winter ...
There is a place in Dixon street that has been recommended to me a few times. I havnt tried him myself. I also know the guy running the Manners street shoe repair but once again ...
the outdoor shops prefer to stock expensive brands so you dont have the cheap option.... the breathables are still better if you have intermittent rain if the surface isnt fully wetted out or gets a chance ...
Here's a copy of the promotion flyer with the terms and conditions on page 2 (pdf): http://www.ja-gps.com.au/promos/free-topo-2012.pdf It's term 14 that states it might take up to 8 weeks. This seems to be an Aussie version ...
451–475 of 654

Search the forums

Gear talk Gear lists, reviews, advice, maintenance.
Topics 654
Posts 8,838
Top contributors
Permanent link