Gear talk

576–600 of 658

we will land in Auckland next april..... Thanks
In respone to militaris' question - no, I haven't really looked at the Macpac tents. In the past I would have, but the new Macpac doesn't seem to be quite so serious about the quality ...
The new Macpacs are out including Torre, Ravine etc http://www.macpac.co.nz/shop/en_nz/gear-and-clothing/packs/packs-trek. I pick up my Cascade 75 FL on Saturday, its a clearance one but will be very new for me (and cheap). Can't wait - hopefull...
1 2 3 4 5
I will definitely consider taking my 0 degree bag instead. Too bad though, as I was getting excited to have a sleeping bag the size of Nalgene bottle! I might consider bringing both though, since ...
A 3mb camera is not going to be wonderful. You have to ask, do you want a GPS or a camera? I haven't used the Oregon series so can't advise what they are like. I ...
Thanks...
What annoyed me most was the habit shops have of sticking the price label over the bit you puncture. Even if you notice, and remember to remove the label, any remaining glue results in an ...
Those instructions are working to suggest you only SLEEP in the tent.
1 2
Had an Eclipse, never had a problem with the bugs. Never tried to cook in the vestibule always looked a bit too close for comfort for that, but kept boots and pack there, can be ...
I'm not entirely happy eating out of plastic either but as long as its made for it ("BPA free"). I didn't go for Orikaso in the end... but I found this review just now: http://www.dailyhiker.com/gear/origami-dishware/
1 2
i made one a wee while ago that i use when i go on solo tramps... it weighs around 500g and is really cosy and cheap. check out my profile for a picture of it
1 2 3 4
Heya would recommend either Swazi or Stoney creek, borrowed a mates Swazi fleece hooded jacket to get home on the motorbike in the cold once and was as warm as toast, would highly recommend
Hello Iker and welcome. Im going to be walking the Milford for the first time in November! The Fiordland area is usually still quite cold and wet in Spring. I am expecting there to still be ...
Also, see this very recent thread on the same subject http://www.tramper.co.nz/?view=topic&id=95
I think Ali Cat has done her trip by now, but I would think you could leave out the sleeping mat. You won't die if you have to sleep on the ground in March. I ...
Sorry, forgot to add the following: - good shock absorption especially at heel - good traction sole - hardwearing sole - for narrow feet THANKS! Matt
The thing that boots offer you over and above shoes are protection for your feet, grippy soles and possibly some ankle support. There are some good options in light weight boots these days. Have a ...
1 2 3 4
Regarding datums and trig stations and flat'ish hacked out models of the Earth like NZGD1949 (referenced earlier in this thread), an example of all the subjectivity in maps and heights and distances popped up in ...
2 3 4 5 6
I would recommend the Led Lenser H5 you can pick them up for 50$ easy and the go from flood to a spot light are great lights with ten year guarantee. You can pick these ...
2 3 4 5 6
Thanks for the input everyone. I settled on the Raichle Scouts. Mainly beacuse of the comfort but they also happened to be pretty cheap on special - $230NZ from Mountain Designs.
1 2
Cheers guys, I'll have definitely have a look at those. Just wondering, for typical NZ tramping, i.e lots of water and mud etc, is full leather or fabric/leather combo better?
i bought mine from Macpac for approx $100, keep keep me warm and dry in shower and quite flexiable. I'm a bit unsure on its breathability through, as i normally find myself soaked by sweat ...
Thanks for the explanation, Matt. It's making more sense now. Not too surprising unfortunately. I can understand them not being allowed to ship with a lower quality of service, but are there different grades of international ...
1 2 3
Hi, most of the things you metion belong to what I consider essentials - the stuff you simply can not afford to lose. Everything in that category goes into a large bum bag which I put ...
Almost always carry a beacon - whenever I'm further away from a reasonably frequented road and / or cell reception than an hour of walking. Alone or in a group, by the way, unless the ...
1 2 3 4
576–600 of 658

Search the forums

Gear talk Gear lists, reviews, advice, maintenance.
Topics 658
Posts 8,846
Top contributors
Permanent link