GPS

1–10 of 27

Hey all, Im looking at picking myself up a gps and I was wondering if ya had any suggestions about which one to get. My budget if possible will be around $500 but may look at going over that if it is worth it. I will go have a look at hunting and fishing this weekend to see there selection but any ideas are more then welcome. Cheers Jono
Hi Jono. It depends what you want. When I was searching, though, I narrowed it down to either a GPS60CSx, or an eTrex Vista HCx. (Note that both 'GPS60' and 'eTrex' are entire ranges, and each has 5 or 6 models in its range.) Both are made by Garmin. I can't comment on other brands. The GPS60CSx is supposedly the most popular hand-held GPS for tramping at present. For a while now, it's been standard issue for Search and Rescue, although I think they've been reviewing a possible switch to the eTrex Vista HCx instead, which is a more recent design. I chose the eTrex Vista HCx for myself, which is virtually identical, even including the firmware that runs on it. The only effective differences are the casing and the specs of a couple of components that result in certain differences (as below). Both let you load maps, have a built-in electronic compass (not something I've found very useful), include a barometric altimeter, and takes memory cards that are primarily for storing maps but also give the GPS a place to store the tracks it records. [Garmin] GPSs without the memory card can typically only store 10,000 points in a track which might get through 2/3 of a day, and tend to cut out detail in the middle as they do it. They're both also supposed to be very weather-proof, specifically to a metre underwater. The definitive difference between the GPS60 range and the eTrex range is the casing it comes in, which results in a couple of things being different. * An eTrex has a flat antenna instead of a tubular antenna. This was mostly relevant back in the days before high-sensitive antennas, but is fairly meaningless now. I think the GPS60 series simply keeps it to fit the case that was designed for that series 10 years ago. * An eTrex has a smaller screen. For some this will be harder to read, but it doesn't bother me. The smaller screen makes it weigh less, and the batteries last a few hours longer... with good rechargables, I get on the order of 25 hours continuous running time on mine, I think. This was a big thing for me because a major objective for me was to have one I could leave switched on for tracking purposes. It cost me ~$550 a year ago. Nobody was stocking it in New Zealand because apparently nobody had asked for it as everyone was still going for the GPS60CSx at that point, but Tony at KiwiGPS in Christchurch ( http://www.kiwigps.co.nz/ ), who is incidentally an excellent person to consult on all the options, ordered one for me specially in his next shipment and couriered it up. Take a look around the shops if you like, but I'd definitely suggest getting in touch with Tony before you make a decision. He's as interested in GPS's as he is in importing them for his business, and can answer questions far more authoritatively than a regular shop assistant. Half way through his email exchange with me, he even spotted a great deal on Trademe and pointed it out to me as an option. There are more threads around in the forums about this that may be useful. eg. http://www.tramper.co.nz/?id=359&view=topic&offset=1
I just sent Jono a private message with an email address for KiwiGps who is a recommended supplier of GPS units. I would suggest Garmin, mainly because there is a thriving Garmin community in NZ. The NZOpenGPS mapping project has excellent street routable maps plus some reasonable topos are now out there and they are all free. I have a mapping GPS. The Garmin 60CSX is getting a little long in the tooth now but is still considered the prefered unit for many GPS users. Not sure about prices now but they might be a little lower than the newer Dakota or Oregan units. A non mapping GPS is cheaper and will do the job quite well too if it is just a matter of transfering a location to a map. Whatever you get, make sure it has one of the newer high resolution antennas. Essential for working in the bush. The most useful thing I find the GPS for these days is recording the track of where I have been. Therefore a good big track log is essential. For this you will need a GPS that takes a micro SD card rather than logging the track to internal memory.
Snap! izoqi and I must have been typing at the same time. I agree with everything he says too. I didn't realise Tony had a wed site. I will go take a look.
Haha. Tony's website is fairly minimal, but it has the contact details. On the topic of the Dakota and Oregon units, has anyone played much with either of these yet? I'm very curious how easy (or hard) the touch-screens are for use in testing conditions. eg. Crappy weather or when wearing gloves, etc. That's about the biggest doubt I had when I looked at them briefly, and there didn't seem to be much certainty when I asked some time ago, but they were very new at that point. Both ranges seem to be targeted at people keen on geo-caching from what I can tell, with cameras and wireless data sharing and all that kind of stuff. In the exchange a year ago, Tony reckoned the Oregon had "lousy menu access [and] middling battery life".
I`m a Garmin60csx fan.Very good reception in bush & the topo map supplied is useful.In our Methven SAR group,we`ve just replaced our old Etrex units with the above.Unlike compass/map,Gps can get a flat battery,so carrying spares is handy. I like the track function,where I can transfer to my laptop & have a decko after the trip. I`d would like advice on how to transfer GPx files to a computer.
Hi lewshaw. Which eTrex models were you using? Was it the basic yellow ones?
It is worth having a look at the Garmin 62 series now, just out in the last few weeks and I saw one in a Rotorua Hunting shop today. In conjunction Garmin has released its own topos for all of Australia and NZ as one product. These will use the new advanced DEM for a 3D look. It'd be interesting to see what these are like. But I doubt they would have the detail of some other maps. Other featueres of the 62 are that you can load raster maps, eg Aerial photos, and you can exchange data wirelessly in the field between 2 units. The one I saw today in the shop was only $550 without maps. If that's full retail then thre are probably better deals around.
Here's some links Masps http://forums.gps.org.nz/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5722&p=42869#p42869 Garmin 62s https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=63801 I might have to go back and check that $550 price tag, either that or buy it quick. It looks too cheap.
Ooh, interesting. Comparing the raw Specs from the Garmin site between the GPS60CSx https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=310#specsTab and the GPS62st https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=63802#specsTab the differences seem to be (I'll just write GPS62 below when I actually mean the st model.): * GPS62 is slightly larger. * GPS62 has a slightly taller display (3mm taller to be specific) * GPS62 display type is supposedly improved. It goes from a 256 colour to a 65536 colour transflective display. (Not sure what the consequence is.) * GPS62 weighs more (by 47.1 grams) * GPS62 typical battery life is reported as 20 hours (up from 18 hours) * GPS62 no longer has a serial interface. It reports that it's NMEA 0183 compatible, which is a computer talkey language thing. * GPS62 has 500MB of built-in memory (GPS60CSx has none). ** Note that some variants of the GPS62 have more built-in memory (up to 1.7GB), but don't accept data cards. * Generally more space for waypoints/favourites/routes/etc. Still only 10,000 built-in track points.... but then with memory elsewhere this is less of an issue. * Automatic routing is supposedly more sophisticated. * GPS62 electronic compass is tilt-compensated. * GPS62 seems to have a bunch of extra stuff for people who like geocaching. * GPS62 doesn't include outdoor GPS games. * GPS62 includes tide tables. * GPS62 is compatible with the Garmin Connect online service for sharing/analysing data with a community. (I'm guessing that most GPS's are compatible with this if you do more work.)
1–10 of 27

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by Jono51
On 21 May 2010
Replies 26
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown