GPS

Hey all, Im looking at picking myself up a gps and I was wondering if ya had any suggestions about which one to get. My budget if possible will be around $500 but may look at going over that if it is worth it. I will go have a look at hunting and fishing this weekend to see there selection but any ideas are more then welcome. Cheers Jono
27 comments
21–27 of 27

It's advertised as a rugged outdoor unit. Being a touch-screen model, does anyone know much about that aspect and how it combines with outdoor conditions? For instance, does the touch-screen work through gloves, and what about when it's wet? I've never owned fancy touch-screen devices, and so far I've not found anyone who can comment much on that kind of stuff.
Can't speak this device as I've never used one. However, in general: Wouldn't try to use a touchscreen with hands for most GPS applications - not enough precision. It comes with a stylus - you're fine using that in the wet - we do on the HP IPAQ's we use for GPS work. Just need to make sure the stylus is tethered securely - hopefully these come with them tied on. The IPAQ you have to bodge-it-yourself a tether, and are forever looking for the damn things in the bush. The IPAQ with its waterproof case is fine in the rain, so presumably this should be too. Why don't you buy one and let us all know! I'd be keen on someone else spending the money and finding out - because they look good from the blurb and I am tempted ....
Right, well, I got one (got it on special, only $645). Hasn't been tested in the angry elements yet - that's my first disclaimer - but it looks and feels pretty sturdy (I'm comparing it to other tried and tested rugged devices I've played with). Out-of-the-box, it comes with a lanyard, stylus (with extendable tether), PC software, three different world wall-plugs for charging, power cables and USB cable and some instruction books. The software for the PC is good - all Topo250 and Topo50 with some larger scale NZ and world base maps. Really easy to plan routes, add markers and so on, then you can click on 3D and it models the maps out into 3D, including the routes you've just plotted. It'll generate a good route card and then you can just plug the device into your computer and move the routes across. Some routes did take a while to load once on my device, but nothing ridiculous. The device has the same maps as the software and you can do the same route-planning etc on the device like you would on the computer (only it's obviously a bit quicker on a big-screened computer!). Touch-screen works fine with fingers and even gloves, but really there's little point with gloves because the screen is so small - stylus is the best option. Quick-loading, quite a few settings you can change to suit your navigational needs, room for expansion in the future with addon applications, it'll take marine charts (separate purchase for maps) but doesn't do CAA charts yet as they are not owned by LINZ. Anyway, I'm pretty happy with it so far. Reviews I've read from England all seem to be happy with it's performance in the wet and snow, but I guess I'll have to see for myself...
Just a quick thought: If you're using touch screen devices outdoors in cold conditions, have you thought of just placing a few drops of glue on one finger tip of your glove so that they form a little "tip"? I mean in the same shape that you can quickly model after you have seared the end of nylon string, for example. That would allow you to use the touch screen with gloves much more precisely without having to get the stylus out - at least if you only need a few "clicks". Not sure at all if that would be practical, just an idea. Matt
Hi Izogi,Sorry,didn`t see your question.Yes,our SAR group have(some still in use)the yellow Etrex model.I also had an Etrex until I donated it to a scout troop & replaced it with the 60CsX.The big benefit with the new one is the maps & reception.A bigger screen would be useful(eyesight!)but size of unit & battery life could be compromised.
Hi. Battery life and possible fragility aside, has anyone tried using the new iphone 4 as a gps. I downloaded the iphone app for memory map and it seems to work - but have not yet tried it out in the absolute middle of Nowhere. Have tried it without network coverage and it does seem to work independently of the network picking up my position. Just be interested to hear if anyone has used it on an actual tramp. Regards.
Well, the Memory Map Adventurer has well and truly been put to the test. No issues with rain or cold and picks up a GPS lock pretty quickly with a good view of the sky. I have noticed in thick bush and occasionally even up on the tops it'll drop it's lock from time to time as you're moving. As it regains lock, it simply draws a straight line from the last lock to the present one, resulting in some pretty crazy zigzags. That said, the points are usually quite close, so you can just sort of take an average line through the spaghetti if you need to back-track. That's my only real gripe with this. Heaps of battery life and when you're still it's a very accurate GPS lock. My mate has the Memory Map app for his iPhone, for emergencies. While it kills the battery on the iPhone something chronic, it's every bit as good as the Adventurer. He's going to get the Garmin 62s though, so we'll have a play with that, especially around getting proper Topo50 maps on it rather than using the third party maps.
21–27 of 27

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by Jono51
On 21 May 2010
Replies 26
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown