The feeling of "lonliness" when solo tramping

I almost never tramp on my own but I'm sure I would feel like you do if I did. Sometimes I wonder how the cat's getting on though most of the time I never give her a thought. I am a dreadful ruminater when I tramp though and yes, it's annoying and interrupting that connection with the present (being in the moment or mindful) but it's also quite tiring. Rumination is even stronger when I do track work as it can be quite repetitive and mechanical. I think if one was totally engaged because the tramping was very challenging e.g. route-finding and then tied with tasks in the evening to meet one's needs, one might not feel so lonely.
32 comments
11–20 of 32

Much the same experience for me as madpom, mantis, deepriver and glenn have described. I've done solo trips up to 10 days and while I'm looking forward to seeing family again by the last day ... I never feel 'lonely'. Glennj's comment here: "Being alone gives me a heightened sense of awareness & self reliance" is very much true for me. I really value it these days; it's an actively meditative state of mind that is very hard to find anywhere else in the modern world.
@jetnz: Take a look here (1st page) for a discussion of radios: http://tramper.nz/?view=topic&id=1637 The only update I can offer to that thread it I've since used: Techsun PL600 and PL606. Both very good, but a bit heavy. very sensitive, very stable on SSB for mountain radio broadcasts. 606 is same radio as 600 but 606 has much better interface - much easier to use. Degen 1126. Useless Feel free to start a new thread if you want more advice than that on this one ... happy to provide opinions.
@Madpom, thank you for that. You've answered my questions well and truly! :-)
@PhilipW "while I'm looking forward to seeing family again by the last day ... I never feel 'lonely'. Glennj's comment here: "Being alone gives me a heightened sense of awareness & self reliance" is very much true for me. I really value it these days; it's an actively meditative state of mind that is very hard to find anywhere else in the modern world." Totally agree. Usually solo tramp and during the day I'm fine. Sometimes would be nice to have someone to talk to over dinner, but never lonely.
I've done most of my tramps alone. Well I've had my dog gilly with me for the last six years. Occasionally my partner and boys. But nearly always alone. I love it. I'm always busy during the day. Climbing, navigating, and just enjoying my surroundings. It's a chance to think about things. Clear my head. When I get to camp im busy. Setting up the tent. Making a fire. Cutting wood. Preparing tea. It's never boring in the evenings. Playing sodoku or crosswords, reading, watching the fire crackle. Just chilling with the dogs. I've had my moments though. I remember my first solo tramp as a youngster. Getting stuck in a heavy storm in gloomy bush sleeping in a cheap tent filled an inch deep with water soaked all night and wondering what I was doing and how far I was from the world and those i love. I got out and never wanted to do that again. Two weeks later I was back in there and have loved every minute. My uncle said once that it was rare that I enjoyed going bush and being in my own company for days at a time. Till then I just never knew people didnt like it. He said that they don't like being alone with their thoughts.
Very rarely go with anyone else. mostly am hunting, and always hunt alone. exception is annual 3 week west coast trip with my son. sometimes take a book, enjoy a read in got downtime. and FM/Am radio. when 18-24, used do 6week and 3month trips when in the forest service, usually with one other hunter. spent lot of time alone, usually few weeks.
I always take a book thats not too heavy and usually the "Listener" cryptic crossword keeps me occupied for a couple of nights
Lots of similarities cropping up here! I usually carry some Quiz Words (crosswords) and Take Fives to tackle on evenings when I've finished the normal chores and am not yet ready to sleep.
ebooks are your friend...
I've done a reasonable amount solo and never felt lonely, though I'm about to head off for an extended amount of solo trips very soon and this video has me worried. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt08U1Dr42k Apparently somewhere in the Horowhenua. (Mental note not to go there.)
11–20 of 32

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by Honora
On 13 May 2016
Replies 31
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown