counting boot days

1–10 of 19

This thread branched from "Wide Tramping boots" on . Explore the branch.

Was it Madpom & Yarmoss who mentioned keeping tally of how many days tramping they get from particular pairs of boots ?. Got any numbers you want to share please ?.
1 deleted post from JETNZ
I see you circumvented the New Topic bug and branched… Clever. For some years now I have observed that my husband gets approx 1.5 summers out of his Salomon Eskape GTX's whilst traveling throughout NZ. This involves walking on varied terrain; dirt, rocks, asphalt… the shoe itself remains intact but the tread wears down to nothing. It would translate into approx 7-8 months of daily use.
interesting. For tramping I have got as little as 30 and no more than 60 days from a range of mostly quality leather boots. Maybe its the constant wet dry (mostly wet) that I subject them to?
I only go out a few times a year so its fairly easy to keep track of how many tramping days I get out of my boots. If I was more prolific like some on here then it would certainly be harder! Wet/dry/wet is extremely destructive on European designed boots in my experience. As mush as I like Asolo's they just cant handle too much of it.
1 deleted post from glennj
Thanks everybody & GlennJ in particular. I know it's been mentioned in the past, but I couldn't retreive anything about 'counting boot days' thru the search engine. Now we can :)
I've kept a diary on boot use for the last eight years now and have posted about this before. Here off the top of my head without going back to the diary are the general outcomes. I consider 120 days life on the hill good for a pair of boots and expect/hope to get at least this long from a pair in Westland conditions. Boots NZ Tramper 120+ (one seam gone before 120 days though) Boots NZ Logger/Hunter 120 Scarpa SL (pair 1) 120 (soles badly worn by 100 days though) Scarpa SL (pair 2) 56+ (currently in use & in good nick) Wenger Eiger 35- (crap boots, multiple failures) Gri Sport 55 (wore holes in them. Comfortable boots but lacking in durability. There is a photo of them on here somewhere, they lasted a little longer than 55 days but should have been discarded at 55 days) Skellerup chainsaw gumboots 120+ Schoen heavy work boots 120+ (uppers failed, good soles!) The uppers on the Scarpas have proved best and the soles on the Boots NZ boots have been the best soles. The soles on the Scarpas are losing performance by about 80 days! If people think the Wenger boots were poor, yes they were, but my mate JH tried two pairs of Kathmandu boots and each pair lasted less than twenty days use. They were the type that look a bit like Gri Sports. He declined to replace the second pair under the guarantee and moved on.
Here is the link to the photo I mentioned above. http://tramper.nz/7007/buggered-boot/
While I have not worn them into the mountains, my Hi-Tec leather boots have lasted nearly a year of farm use, that includes getting saturated on many dewy mornings and used to kick quite a few things to dislodge them. Never own a boot prior to getting them that lasted as long and in such good condition. I think many people discount Hi-Tec for the budget price, but in my experience they are very good boots. The stitching on the one pair of boots I own failed after the first trip... but can not remember the brand. They were eVent lined so should of been reasonable quality.
Ill second the reccomendation for hitecs. Very very good boots for the price. Im on my third pair of them (grew out of the first two). First 2 pairs were excellent, this latest one is alright, except for the fact that they arent waterproof and retain water something awful, even though they SHOULD be waterproof. I have a funny feeling that the dritec membrane in em doesnt work as advertised. Could just be a faulty pair tho.
Maybe the fact they are waterproof is why they stay full of water.
1–10 of 19

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Pro-active
On 23 May 2015
Replies 18
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown