Wide Tramping boots

1–10 of 21

Does anyone know of who makes the widest fitting mens tramping boots? I am wanting a middle of the road pair of tramping boots as I'm sick of wearing heavy leather ones!
I was gonna recommend Meindl Islands in wide fit, but they weigh about 40kg each :-)
I just bought a pair of "TEVA Mens Riva Leather Mid eVent Shoes", currently on sale at Torpedo7. The shop I found them in didn't have my size, and weren't interested in getting in any more. They are a wide fitting. No issues breaking them in so far walking the dog at night, no idea what they are really like, but going out this weekend for an overnighter so will find out then. Mine are a US 11.5, and weigh approx 1.2kg for the pair.
I wear leather Asolo 535 TPS boots, Im on to my 3rd pair, I think they weigh about 1.3kg for the pair. They are quite a wide fit and last moderately well (3-5 years depending on how hard you are on them). Modern leather boots arent anywhere near as heavy as they used to be, even my heavy duty Lowa boots only weight about 1.5kg.
I have great trouble finding a boot wide enough. Meindl make good ones, but do fall into the "heavy leather" category you seem to want to avoid. For the record I wear Lowa Tibets, also in the heavy leather group at 1.8kg/pair. I don't notice the weight though and it's good to know that you're on a solid platform in difficult terrain. They have just revamped their boot range somewhat, but most of their range comes in a wide last. The Tibets are their top end model so you could check out some of the others as they would be lighter but extremely well made - the drawback: you pay for the good construction. Note also that recent coroner's findings into a couple of tramping deaths have found footwear inadequate for the terrain the tramper was in to be involved, so if you're going off-track don't scrimp too much just for the sake of a few grams.
This thread raised my curiosity so I chucked the Meindls on the kitchen scales - just over 2KG for the pair, bone dry. I also have a pair of Scarpa Nangpa-La XCR's (wide last) bought for summer use - they're only 1.4KG. Thing is I hardly wear them as the Meindls are a much more comfortable and stable boot. I'm happy to pay the weight penalty.
Hi Im in the same boot, need new boots. Im a keen hunter do a lot of walking up n down river flats. Just had knee replacment ( 6 months) noe my scarper are to stiff in the sole. Dose anyone know of softer sole boot. Don't want to go back to the old lace up gumboots (hahaha ops showing my age) thanks
Have some Grisport which are ridiculously flexible in the sole - too flexible for me on the hill - just use the bloody things for labouring now - cheep tramping boots, but flippin expensive as work boots! About $300 from H&F. Dunno about whether they do a wide fit one though. For a medium stiffness sole the one I'd go for a light-leather boot is the Asolo 535 - but that has crept up in price lately. A good boot if you can get it around $300, wouldn;t pay more though ... Asolo come in Regular and Wide fit - we order from the supplier (Outsider Mountain Sports) in Rangiora and they stock both fits. Dunno if your local shop would have both fits in stock. And you'd want to check to be sure if it's wide enough for you though.
Farmlands/CRT are trialling some Grisport - hunting, hiking, safety & some other. Around the $235 mark for a nice looking leather construction. Just bending them in the shop, they seemed a bit flexible.
A looked at a pair a while ago. My jandles have a stiffer sole
1–10 of 21

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Ian lambie
On 26 May 2014
Replies 20
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown