NewTopo maps

1–10 of 12

Has anyone else had problems with the durability of these maps? I recently purchased the double sided A3 sized Travers-Sabine one and it started to fall apart even before the trip!
I haven't seen them. If you haven't even used it, I'd contact them and find out what they'll do under warranty.
Nope, mine have all lasted great. What do you mean its falling apart? They're a single piece of paper: there is no bindings. Like @Izogi says, take it back to where you got it from.
Yep have done that and they say that they have had few complaints in five years but I am just wondering if the problem is common but people just move on and the map goes in the bin after the trip.
By falling apart I mean ripping along the fold lines after a few viewings.
Hmmm. If yours is falling apart unreasonably then it doesn't matter if they've had few complaints in five years, because that doesn't actually solve your problem. Therefore they, meaning the retailer, still need to address your problem under the Consumer Guarantees Act. (A refund or replacement at the very least.) Did they offer to?
Yes that is all good. I have no problem with getting recourse for a product not "fit for purpose". The point of this post is to find out if others have had issues with these maps and if the issue is hidden because they just move back to the regular Topomap 1:50 000 series. NewTopo are a Takaka based outfit
I buy mine from Map World in Christchurch. They also do a light lamination. It has a finish like a thick waxy layer, and the maps are still foldable. Maybe Whitcoulls/Paper Plus can do do similar ?. Maps are supposed to be rolled rather than folded. It's that wearing-out-at-the-crease thing.
Oops, sorry, thought you meant the Topo50s, which I have a large collection off and they have all been great. I haven't bought any non-LINZ ones.
Yeah, I have noticed the creases on the new Topos quickly 'fray' and tear. It's a paper issue, the choice of stock is just not up to the rigours of map handling.
1–10 of 12

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by silverfox
On 21 April 2015
Replies 11
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown