Looking for Te Araroa partner Nov/Dec 2015 (flex.)

1–10 of 12

Hi i'm Kev a UK Hiker/Tramper looking for a flexible tramping companion/partner to thru-Hike Te Araroa from Cape Reinga - Bluff, Southbound (SoBo). I can be flexible in route options, locations of interest, stopover points etc. I want it to be as enjoyable and engaging for all concerned. My only proviso is that whoever wants to join me must be willing to engage in volunteer conservation projects throughout the hike. I am currently in contact with the DOC about participation in the many ongoing projects. These vary from basic weeding control, rare bird breeding programs, native tree planting, trail restoration, etc. I am very keen to give back to New Zealand while I am here and there is no reason why I shouldn't. Its a beautiful country with a fantastic array of landscape and terrain. I want it to remain this way for years to come. I am: Male 29 UK I speak mainly English, but I can understand small amounts of French, German, Italian & Cornish :D My character is usually calm and relaxed with a good sense of humour. I am Friendly, Positive, Great communicator, morale booster, good decision maker but also diplomatic and above all, willing to learn and experience from people of different backgrounds. My Trekking Partner must be: Male/Female 20-100 Any Country (English speaking fluently would be desirable) They must be confident in their own abilities, but also have to courage to say when they are out of their depth. I can compromise with this, as I am certain there will be moments when I say "No, lets turn back". There is no shame in admitting this. As stated I would like the majority of this hike to be enjoyable while still pushing our boundaries. They must be generally like minded and want to help the environment along the way. I am certain whoever decides to join me will have a great time. If you like Ginger Nut Biscuits, Fig Rolls, Kendal Mint Cake and Rum then I think we'll get along fine. At the end of the Hike, I'm intending to apply to do a 6 month stint of volunteering on Raoul Island (Sunday Island) some 1000km NE of Auckland. If we've had a successful trip and bound a great friendship, then this may be an option that you may wish to also consider. Look forward to hearing from you. Cheers, Kev Bamboo *****Please comment on here first so I can gauge interest and then we can perhaps contact via email, once i'm certain of those who are serious*****
Hi Kev. If you find someone here then great, but if you haven't already then I'd suggest you also ask at a place like the Te Araroa Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/26638669574/ . It seems to be a popular hangout for many people planning to walk Te Araroa.
1 deleted post from waynowski
^ this is true Wayno.. but tbh possibly best kept quiet? The less traffic in the remote areas the better, walks like this and the 'great walks' help keep the numbers down, its getting worse every year and this year was double the tourist numbers from last!!
I don't understand why people spend lots of money to sit around on beaches in a foreign country, or collect stamps, or play rugby, and yet all of those activities have their followings. Maybe Te Araroa is not for you.
Bah humbug to you Wayno :-) Te Araroa is a great idea/concept and the more that walk it (particularly from overseas and all the benefits to NZ that brings) the better. Most visitors don't have the time or resources to plan and execute their own long distance trails,so TA is an established,essentially safe option thats already available. Good point from Pipeking above,the TA and the great walks keeps the numbers down on other tracks! Anyway Bamboo,hope you find what you're after and good on you for the volunteer stuff too.You'll have a great time in NZ's wonderful outdoors.
Izogi - many thanks for the link, it will be very helpful. Waynowski - I'm unsure you fully read my post but regardless of any route I decide to take, my main focus is in offering my voluntary services whilst walking many sections of the trail. I have stated I am flexible in route and timescales I'm certain I will visit Mt. Olivier for a great view (cloud cover pending) of Mt. Cook. I'm certain I will visit Hamner Springs, Mt. Aspiring NP and will wander towards Coromandel and Bay of Plenty regions. Whatever, wherever. I'm not held ransom to one route :) I'd have thought you'd have shown some appreciation to the fact that I will be helping the DoC with a lot of the conservation projects Nationwide. It's more than just a thru-hike to me. Helping to maintain these trails, replanting native tree species and educating young people so that these trails are available for hundreds of years is just as important as my own selfish little bumble across NZ. There are some great parts of TA and the many other trails in NZ like the Kepler and Milford amongst more i'm not yet aware of. I was simply coming here to look for a trekking partner but I still thank you for your kind input. Pipeking - Don't worry, I will be checking out many trails (but i'll keep some of them to myself :) ) Geoffnet - Thanks, thats the idea. I feel it necessary to give something back by way of appreciation for the Natural landscape. Indeed I will enjoy New Zealand's back country and also the many welcoming people which the U.K seems to have lost somewhat. Many err on caution now days, which is a very sad thing. I hope someone is mad/kind/crazy enough to consider teaming up with me on what will be quite some experience.
Bamboo, meet Bear Grills: http://tramper.nz/?view=topic&id=7124 I think you two could fashion a plan..
pipeking said: Bamboo, meet Bear Grills: tramper.nz/?view=topic&id=7124 I think you two could fashion a plan.. Haha, with respect to 900days900huts I don't think I can free up 3 years. Who knows though, our paths may cross. To be honest though.....i'm more of a Ray Mears type :)
hi Kev, you still looking for a buddy? I’m super keen to through hike the Te Araroa and hadn’t thought about the possibility of doing volunteer work along the way but think it’s an awesome idea. I’m an experienced hiker and navigator but hopeless planner, so inherently flexible and good at just going with flow! I love exploring different landscapes and enjoy the shared experience of being in the wild with friends. I’m easygoing and self reliant but also really enjoy working as a team and learning from those more experienced. I have been working in resource conservation and management with Parks Canada for the past 18 months and prior to that worked with Parks Victoria in Australia. what else….I’m 28, aussie, I like beer, taking photos and unplanned adventures. shoot me an email if ya want to chat more! cheers Megan
Very interesting Megan. I'll drop you a message...
1–10 of 12

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tramping partners
Started by Bamboo
On 10 March 2015
Replies 11
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown