trail running shoe advice?

1–10 of 14

Hi all, I realise this is a bit tangential to a tramping forum, but suspect that at least some of you may have advice. Can anyone recommend very cushioned trail running shoes for NZ type conditions, i.e. steep, heavily eroded, dirt/rock paths varying between bare rock, dust, and deep mud? We go trail running about once a week and our road running shoes are too slippery. We both have arthritic toes and ankles, and thus want cushioned shoes because minimalist shoes just don't absorb enough shock for our purposes. We've tried minimalism and it just hurts the arthritic joints too much, even though the change in technique is helpful. Basically it seems to be a choice between shoes with decent lugs but no real cushioning, e.g. the Inov8 or Salomon Speedcross type things, and shoes with decent cushioning but fairly useless tread, e.g. Asics Kahana (currently on special in our local running shoe shop). Any advice welcome!
yeah, you need less cushioning on muddy trails. concrete is a lot more damaging on your body depends what brand fits your feet brands can vary in the foot shape they fit.
I've found the Saucony Xodus 3 trail running shoes are quite robust and have great grip with their deep lugged Vibram sole. I do use a liquid polyurethane (Seam-grip) to create a rand around the lower half of the uppers for protection. I have found cushioning more than adequate and the rockplate works very well. I primarily use them for tramping (def. not a runner!) along tracks, rivers and ridges in the Tararuas. I sized up a whole size over normal so my wide feet could fit.
From what I have heard the brand Hoka one one`s are really good regarding the cushioning for your feet. I just use New Balance trail shoes, I have used the model 490v2 and 590 and so far they have been ok, I got about 700km out of my 1st pair of 490v2 and have about 200km on my second pair and it seems to be ok. I use them 50/50 road and river trails
I have been using Asics Fugi Trabuco's in the Tararua's for a few years now. I like them because of the rock plates in the midfoot section as most of my running is on fairly rocky surfaces. before that I had some Salomons (heavier training type) and ran the Tararua race a few times with those
I've found the Salomon speedcross to have pretty decent cushioning. There is a great wad of foam under the heel and it served me well for getting round the southern and northwest circuits of Stewart Island as a run. I also like the fact that you can get a non waterproof model that doesn't let any debris (not even silt) through the material's tight weave. The Mountain Masochist from Montrail is another well cushioned number and, unless you are going to drag it through a lot of scrub, very durable. From Mizuno you were able to get the Wave Harrier cheap (<$100) from Rebel sport - not sure if you still can. Very decent grip and I've used it for a 100 mile race - plenty of cushioning. Plenty of decent offerings from New Balance too.
Try the Salomon XT Wings 3 . Good cushioning,excellent traction. Available from Torpedo 7. I am nearly 60 so need the cushioning now! Have been using this shoe for offroad races such as Coast to Coast and The Goat for a few years now.
I agree with Matt on the Speedcross. Fantastic shoes! However, the sole dictates that they really are trail-only. Wear them on the road, and the sole will wear LONG before the shoe. I also love Salomon's speed lace system. I've been looking into the Hoka's, which are the complete opposite to the minimalist 5 Fingers I usually wear. But given I'm hiking the TAT soon, the thick cushioning in a light trail shoe sounds very appealing....
My husband has run in Asics Trabuco for years and always found them to be good on mountain trails. The soles wear out pretty fast however. He uses formthotics.
asics tend to use soft rubber on the front half of the soles, they had used closed cell foam as well... wears out at the rate of knots.. end of the day you need to wear whats comfortable for you though.
1–10 of 14

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by gw265ster
On 10 February 2015
Replies 13
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown