Wide Tramping boots

Does anyone know of who makes the widest fitting mens tramping boots? I am wanting a middle of the road pair of tramping boots as I'm sick of wearing heavy leather ones!
21 comments
21–21 of 21

I'm using those Asolos. I like them though mine are looking like they don't have many days left in them before they pucker out (currently on 35 tramping days). No problems with the boots folding in, just make sure you chuck out the inner sole they come with immediately and replace it with something decent.
I've got the Meindls - no issues at all with folding. I've put over 100 days on them now (including a couple of alpine trips involving ice travel and front pointing in crampons) and they're still in excellent condition. Worth every cent. I recently bought a pair of Salewa Mountain Trainer mid GTX boots from Macpac as a lighter option and they're surprisingly good. I have wide(ish) feet and had always overlooked them as being a euro boot with a typically narrow fit - not the case at all. Might be worth looking at?
Hmm. Boot lottery time again. My last Meindl Engadin (Makalu with leather lining) fell apart this weekend. Started to fail at about 40 days, and died around 60. That's all off track work, probably 50% worn wet. The weak part was the stick-on rubber rand, which once removed by serration from grass, ferns, scrub proved to be the only thing holding the sole on. A long 3 days from Te Puia to Clements Mill Rd via Makino, Mangaturutu, Te Puke, Mangatainoka, Orote, Cascade with soles flapping greetings to all ... Next lottery entry is another Meindl. Since the rest of the boot performed wonderfully, I've done away with the useless rand and gone for the Meindl Ortler: "The Meindl Ortler has a classic VibramĀ® Montagna profile sole and shock absorbers in the heel. One of the few shoes with an original double-stitched sole. Perfect for poor mountain paths, scree and fixed rope routes." Stitched sole, leather lined, no rand ... (scary). But claims to be designed for scree work. Only time will tell. Again $340 delivered from unterwegs.com.

This thread branched to "counting boot days" on . Explore the branch (19 messages).

21–21 of 21

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Ian lambie
On 26 May 2014
Replies 20
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown