Wide Tramping boots

Does anyone know of who makes the widest fitting mens tramping boots? I am wanting a middle of the road pair of tramping boots as I'm sick of wearing heavy leather ones!
21 comments
11–20 of 21

Try buying tramping boots in Taupo. the only 'hardwearing' boots in the town were meindls or grisport. And after the way I've been treated by Meindl 'never again'. Everything else was lightweight and would gave taken 1 look at southern Ruahine leatherwood expired on the spot.
On the topic of boots, I've been looking at Lastrite's Hunter model (replaced the Tramper). Does anyone know how these last, and how stiff the soles are? Wanting to get something a bit better suited to bush bashing and river scrambles than my Grisport Hunters (rather slippery soles, even when new).
I have a pair of Meindl Island Pro wide US 11 - 2kg dry, I wear 2 pairs of socks with these, these are for hard core tramping , hunting. I also have a pair of Asolo Fusion 95 GTX US 11 - one pair of socks, (UK army uses them) for wheelchair tracks eg NZ great walks, quite a stiff boot. Recently I have looked at Salomon Synapse US 11.5 at Rebelsports and Mammut Cirrus US 11.5 at Mountain Designs US 11.5 I prefer the Mammut , both wheelchair track boots! Very lightweight All these different sizes fit my wide foot. Recently I took my daughter up to Angelus hut in Nelson Lakes I wore my Meindls (as I need ankle support after two ankle sprains) My daughter wore running shoes.... she zoomed ahead of me, we also came across a Canadian wearing those running toe shoes with a 20-30 kg pack on his back , going for it.. A very subjective forum, I find once I have my pack on my pack and get into my Tramping Zen the weight of my Meindls dosen't register.
I'm looking for a pair of wide-fitting ladies' boots. Any suggestions?
Us kiwis certainly seem to have "fatter" feet than the europeans. My Merrell boots split down the sides due to them being a little too tight. Wet wading in them probably didn't help either I guess.
garmont make a wide boot and mine have lasted well with heaps of use
My brother has massive pudding feet and swears by Garmont boots, he's had his latest pair for years.
kay jay try a pair of mens boots. This advise was given to my wife by New Ballence clearance store for gym shoes and she now wears a wide mens shoe. Even extra wide womens was too tight. Her boots are also mens boots from katmandu but we got them at a very good price as they had been on clearance for several years. Few people buy mens size 6 tramping boots in full leather and proper sole $450 down to 125
I am tossing up between Asolo TPS 535 ($400) and Meindl Island Pro ($700). With the Meindl's there is a horizontal seam half way up the ankle. I have found other boots often fold inwards around there and pinch my ankles, especially side stepping down a slope. Anyone experienced this with either boot?
Looking for something to complement my heavier boot, I spend sunday afternoon trying on lighter boots up in the big smoke. Bivouac carrys a Keen model that has a wide fit, and i found comfortable with the exception that its heel support felt wobbly. The lighter boot that really clicked for me that day was Salomon Quest 4D. Its noticably more flimsyily built that my previous Salomons, but as a consequence i found it to leave quite a bit of room in the toe area. Well reviewed. http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Hiking-Boots-Reviews/Salomon-Quest-4D-GTX 1.4kgs, but the only place that had stock was Torpedo 7 at $500. Bivouac had the Conquest on sale for $299, but i found its fit was not the same. Scarpa do make the odd lighter boot too, but didnt find any to try on.
11–20 of 21

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Ian lambie
On 26 May 2014
Replies 20
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown