Black Diamond z-pole walking sticks

1–10 of 27

Anyone aware of an issue with the fabric wrist loops on these? I got a pair 6 months ago and on the whole I think they are great. However, recently I broke a wrist loop. A friend of mine also has a pair of Black Diamond z-poles and had to get the wrist loops replaced within a month or two of ownership as one was fraying badly. I have used walking sticks for a long time and never broken a wrist loop before and neither has any other walking stick user I know. I am curious to know if anyone else has broken a wrist loop on a walking stick - what type of pole, how old, frequent/occasional usage sort of thing. The shop we bought from replaced the wrist loops in both cases. Did we just get unlucky or is wrist loop replacement going to become part of ongoing maintenance with these sticks?
they have good warrranty's take them back and get the vendor to repair or replace
i've got black diamonds, not the z pole. no problems with teh wrist straps, they are pretty strong
Dunno what is happening with all these big name brands these days but they seem to be having major problems with any kind of strap. It is appalling for the amount they charge out for these products.
Remember the days when Kathmandu was a real tramping shop? I bought their 'house brand' poles nearly 20 years ago and although I've replaced the tips, the straps are still going strong. Actually they must be really well made considering the thrashings they've had over the years - amazes me how they don't break when under strain. Had to often fiddle with the locking mechanisms, one of which is now permanently seized, but that's OK. It still amazes me how some trampers are so 'anti' trekking poles. They revolutionised tramping for me when I first got them and I expect I would have had to give up on more serious terrain if I hadn't had them. The old knees are not what they used to be!
I thrash my pair of BD trail shocks and the wrist loops are holding up fine - maybe it's just the Z-poles? I've also got nothing but praise for poles in general - I'm in my early forties but a knee injury from 20 years ago was starting to make steep descents very painful (to the point I was considering chucking it in). I started with a cheap pair for $30 and the difference was obvious - knee still hurts a bit when I've got a load on, but I can live with it. Wouldn't go anywhere without them now.
Who's anti-trekking-pole? I don't use them myself right now (tried it once but couldn't get it to work for me.. I think my walking posture is a bit different from some), but everyone I know who uses them reckons they're awesome. No surprise, really, or they probably wouldn't be using them. The only vaguely logical negative argument I've heard about them is the environmental one. I don't know enough about their impact on the NZ environment to hold a strong opinion.
I am anti pole. I cant stand the ching ching clink clink for hours and hours at a time. It is worse than some one who hangs half there stuff off the bag and it bashes around.
i find one pole can be good especially on steep hills, rough ground and river crossings, i found two poles can often be difficult to coordinate on anything other than a smooth side track
I was talking to about it with a friend the other day. We wandered if the poles slow people down?
1–10 of 27

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by stunted
On 3 March 2014
Replies 26
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown