Black Diamond z-pole walking sticks

Anyone aware of an issue with the fabric wrist loops on these? I got a pair 6 months ago and on the whole I think they are great. However, recently I broke a wrist loop. A friend of mine also has a pair of Black Diamond z-poles and had to get the wrist loops replaced within a month or two of ownership as one was fraying badly. I have used walking sticks for a long time and never broken a wrist loop before and neither has any other walking stick user I know. I am curious to know if anyone else has broken a wrist loop on a walking stick - what type of pole, how old, frequent/occasional usage sort of thing. The shop we bought from replaced the wrist loops in both cases. Did we just get unlucky or is wrist loop replacement going to become part of ongoing maintenance with these sticks?
27 comments
11–20 of 27

In my experience, quite the opposite, particularly downhill or on tricky bits. Having three points of contact with the ground at all times allows me to move much quicker than I can sans poles, with less risk of going erse over kite on slippery terrain.
My first pair of poles were leki (no issues with wrist loops). Accidentally left them behind at a car park and never saw them again. My second pair of poles were black diamond (no issues with the wrist loops) with a great pin locking system in the bottom section of the pole which never failed under pressure. Unfortunately one is close to breaking and they are obsolete so can't get spare parts any more. The latest BD z-poles have a different type of wrist loop. I think they have gone for better comfort and in the process made them a lot less robust. On the plus side with the way they lock i don't think they will ever contract without warning under pressure, they are light and they fold up nice and small (easy to stow in your pack). Although getting them to fold after they have got wet takes a lot effort (doesn't seem to be a problem with the carbon fibre modle and with time it is getting easier). Before I got walking sticks long steep downhills would just about have me in tears. Walking sticks, orthotics and anti-inflamatories mean I tramp better now than i did when i was young and undamaged.
"Who's anti-trekking-pole? I don't use them myself right now (tried it once but couldn't get it to work for me.." Your not alone. I have a set of poles that on several occasions have gone out with me only to be tied to the pack within half an hour.
They look like a nightmare to use while bush bashing and in tight trees.
People who want to find a way, though. I've been pack-dragging more than a few times with people who are avid users of walking poles. They usually seem to get put away through the tough stuff, and I'd think someone who needs to put them away like this would find a set of poles that can be easily and completely put away, but come straight out again around rivers and tracks.
I bought the BD poles with flik-locks for that exact reason - only takes a few seconds to compress 'em, and I'll either throw them up or down where I'm headed, or stick them horizontally in between my back and my pack and leave both hands free. Have ripped a few shirts with the carbide tips doing this, so may need to change my method....
@hutchk Putting them in handle first might help ;-) Love my new Lekis. Ive always taken poles but used to only buy the cheap crap ones. Sure enough they would bend and be useless after a couple of trips (or just one). Finally invested some cash in these latest ones and they are fantastic. I put all my weight on them when going down steep, root staircases in bush and they hold up just fine. Mud, stream crossings, snow and ice, pushing through undergrowth and lumpy tussock. Poles are great. I don't bother with the wrist loops though so I've never had a problem with those breaking, even on the cheap and nasty ones.
I started with one pole, got proficient over a few months then bought the second one. It did take a while to get coordinated but once I had, downhills became bliss! I was a kayak guide back then and found that being able to use those arm muscles when tramping uphill helped no end. I often used to semi-run uphills pumping away with the poles. Also fantastic as extra arms when river crossing or balancing on rocks, especially when icy. Not to mention through bogs etc. Sure, they can be annoying in bush bashing but I either let them just dangle off the straps or put them away on the back of my pack.
I forgot one of the best things about using two poles - when walking on a track with wet tree roots. I did the inner Abel Tasman after a rain storm and it was all mud and tree roots - I practically skipped through there with the poles, being able to step on the roots rather than avoiding them. Mind you I did have instep tricounis on my boots which sure helped, but that's another story. I guess younger people who have never used tricounis don't know what they missed? Are they still obtainable?
I saw triconies for sale in Levin a couple of years ago They dont work with the moulded vibram style soles everyone uses these days so you would need cleated soles to use them. Everyone used them in the days before crampons and they would take you pretty much everywhere
11–20 of 27

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by stunted
On 3 March 2014
Replies 26
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown