Black Diamond z-pole walking sticks

Anyone aware of an issue with the fabric wrist loops on these? I got a pair 6 months ago and on the whole I think they are great. However, recently I broke a wrist loop. A friend of mine also has a pair of Black Diamond z-poles and had to get the wrist loops replaced within a month or two of ownership as one was fraying badly. I have used walking sticks for a long time and never broken a wrist loop before and neither has any other walking stick user I know. I am curious to know if anyone else has broken a wrist loop on a walking stick - what type of pole, how old, frequent/occasional usage sort of thing. The shop we bought from replaced the wrist loops in both cases. Did we just get unlucky or is wrist loop replacement going to become part of ongoing maintenance with these sticks?
27 comments
21–27 of 27

I'm anti poles, totally. Down here every one uses them, especially the euros. Most importantly, they are single handedly the reason for about 80% of fall deaths in our alpine areas. Either by getting caught in rocks on descent, or by tying the hands up preventing a hand hold, or by using them on steep snow when an axe should be in the uphill hand instead. Sure, they help those with weak legs or knees (I have had 3 ops so far on my left knee, ACL x2 and cartilage etc) but I think the best option for people like this is to stick to routes they are capable of until they have built up the required muscle to support. I know this might upset some people, but its facts I know because I have recently re-injured my knee and am back on the road to getting it strong again now. Day hikes with a small pack are the key, then go light weight for good! Poles are for valley walks only, but hey thats just my opinion.
I use a walking stick as opposed to a pole. It has a pistol grip and when not needed is easy just to dangle off my wrist via the loop. Sometimes I think using 2 poles slows people down a bit. I've noticed pole users have problems dangling their poles because they're too long so they get in the way. I've seen some people hampered because they persist in holding their poles so can't pull themselves up on rock holds or vegetation properly. It's quite different using a walking stick and the weight comes down directly on the top of the stick. I find it best to keep the pole behind my hip if stepping down, rather than leaning forward and placing it downhill. This keeps the strain on my much stronger extended hip flexor rather than my quad where it inserts into the knee. One woman in our tramping club is short and does big step-up lunges using her poles where I would take a couple of shorter step-ups. Just as well she does this, as the tall guys step-plugging up the front don't take her into account! The brand I use is Kompidell. I chose this over the Lekis because it shortens right down so is good for storing in the pack when flying across to Stewart Island or in terrain where it would be a pain in the butt e.g. thick scrub. This model comes with 2 quick release clips for easy adjustment. Much better than the twist adjust model. On the downside, lightweight tents are better pitched with poles, not walking sticks!
One thing I know about life, and humans, is that we are all different. Thus some people will never need poles and others, like me, will. All my life I had never been able to easily tramp downhill with a heavy pack on. I remember descending the 'dead man trail' down to the Hollyford back in the 60s when I was a very fit young man - it was absolute agony and I had to take the weight by having my hands on my knees for much of the way. Then I bought poles, 20 years ago, and it was transformative! I envy you, Damon, that you can (totally) recover from knee problems, I can't and neither can my wife, and believe me we've tried (isn't Voltarin wonderful?! lol ). We have no desire, thank you, to restrict ourselves to valley walks. I'm 68 and will continue going to The Tops as long as my knees and poles can get me there, and back! Its not a matter of opinion, its a matter of all being different.
Nice one, deepriver I take my hat off to you, I hope I can still be charging at 68! Probably will need poles long before this however at the rate I'm going haha I believe the best solution short term however is go ultra lite, I still see so many trampers about with packs loaded up looking like they are off to expedition everest! I try to go for under 10kg every time, there are so many tricks and new materials now (and I dont mean cutting handle off toothbrush, who needs one anyway? hehe) that enable smaller lighter packs for multiday missions. Idk, but when I see peeps with the poles they always seem to appear stooped over them, broken at the waist, this looks like back problem city to me. I always focus on keeping shoulders above feet, its a boardsport thing though I guess, but keeps balance while using your core muscles instead of the back. I tend to think that poles dont seem to favour this posture well thats all. something to think about, because when you are on slippery stuff this is important.
tried (isn't Voltarin wonderful?! lol ). Thats another volatile subject all together I cant use that either. To say it gives me wind doesnt really describe the result.
Both my wife and I have been saved from having to be choppered out of the mountains by taking Voltarin (or a cheaper generic). After day 2 of the Milford, 3 years ago, I honestly thought I would have to give up but a friendly tramper/pharmacist suggested Voltarin and i went over the McKinnon pass the next day without a twinge! Magic! Can't say I'm into taking drugs of any sort but having some V in the pack for emergencies is now normal for us. A friend actually starts taking V a day before going tramping and it always gets him through but I don't want to fill my body up with that stuff any more than necessary. (And he's too 'macho' to use poles! lol ) Never heard of geeve's side effects though - perhaps judicious application of a match/lighter might give an afterburner effect on the uphills? lol
Voltarin and all the diclofinac family of drugs are magic anti inflamitaries They reduce swelling and the resultant pain and are incredibly effective. For some people though the side effects can outweigh the benifits. I can take one or 2 without issue but take a full course and Im doubled over with intergestion type cramps and wind that could keep a hovercraft airborne ( the type of wind that can strip paint also) Another not uncommon side effect is intestinal bleeding This will see you back in that helicopter. Bruffen is another anti inflamitory very closely related to Nurofin but even that effects me

This thread branched to "Voltarin and other NSAID's" on . Explore the branch (8 messages).

21–27 of 27

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by stunted
On 3 March 2014
Replies 26
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown