What do you eat!

As a follow on to the thread about freeze dried food, what do you eat when you go bush? Last time I went out for 3 days I had: Bfast at home: sandwiches, fruit, 2x muesli bars Steak w. instant mash, peas/corn/carrot mix, chocolate bar,tea, orange drink (pkt: cold) Muesli w. fruit, tea crackers w. tuna, muesli bar, water freeze dried 2 serve (Fettucine), crackers, fruit leather, tea, orange drink (pkt: hot) Freeze dried 1 serve (Beef hotpot), crackers, tea total: 750gms Apart from the above I carry sugar for my tea, and an emergency meal of OSM bars in my pack. Im wondering what other people carry.
51 comments
41–50 of 51

ha! thought i was the only one who eats off a frisbee when tramping! thanks for the tips. will give cheesecake a go on upcoming trip
Porridge for breakfast/sandwiches or rolls for lunch/thai or indian from the local takeaway (cooked and collected the previous day and frozen and reheated for the first night.....dont forget the garlic naan)..
Second the cheesecake! An SCTC stalwart back when. In adverse conditions, you can just mix it all up together in a bowl and it'll still go down ok... Still in the habit of Continental Pasta and heaps (and I mean heaps) of cracked black pepper.
There is this classic army mash up we used to make with ration packs. Melted dark chocolate, sugar, condensed milk and ration biscuits (a cross between malt and superwine), mix it all together and eat. If you made it right it had a fudge like quality. I know it sounds horrible but, my god, did it taste good after a couple of days out in the bush. The other thing was fritters made from dehy potato mixed with corned beef, onion salt and onion, then fried in oil. Yum! Sadly a thing of the past as they eat those US style MRE rations now.
MRE - those self heating things? That can't be good for you ... Now wish i could recall who's autobiography was it gave accounts of turning those into improvised explosive devices ...? apparently they give off quite a bit of gas as they heat up.
Bagels, cream cheese and strawberry jam are pretty good. Bagels seem to last forever.
Yes, you can make a IED out of a MRE pack. They have these heater pads in the package, you add a set amount of water and a pinch of salt and the chemical reaction lets off heat and hydrogen. Enough said.......
1 deleted post from freezedriedfood
I couldn't think of a worse thing to eat.
There is this classic army mash up we used to make with ration packs. Melted dark chocolate, sugar, condensed milk and ration biscuits (a cross between malt and superwine), mix it all together and eat. If you made it right it had a fudge like quality. I know it sounds horrible but, my god, did it taste good after a couple of days out in the bush. I can imagine this tasting nice but the look could be off putting especially if you use too much condensed milk.
What about the classic. Peanuts, raisins, and energy chocolate. Mixed in an ice cream container, that stuff use to last forever on trips.
41–50 of 51

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Food
Started by bradley1
On 6 December 2013
Replies 50
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown