What do you eat!

1–10 of 51

As a follow on to the thread about freeze dried food, what do you eat when you go bush? Last time I went out for 3 days I had: Bfast at home: sandwiches, fruit, 2x muesli bars Steak w. instant mash, peas/corn/carrot mix, chocolate bar,tea, orange drink (pkt: cold) Muesli w. fruit, tea crackers w. tuna, muesli bar, water freeze dried 2 serve (Fettucine), crackers, fruit leather, tea, orange drink (pkt: hot) Freeze dried 1 serve (Beef hotpot), crackers, tea total: 750gms Apart from the above I carry sugar for my tea, and an emergency meal of OSM bars in my pack. Im wondering what other people carry.
My staple is the following: Breakfast: Packets of flavoured porridge such as the Uncle Toby ones (2 per day as 1 isn't enough) Milk powder Lunch: Crackers/Rice crackers 1 can tuna/2 days Peanut butter (heavy luxury item) Dinner: Back Country Meals or Continental Pastas Dehy vegies couscous Salami Snacks: 2 muesli bars/day bag of nuts (usually cashews as I hate scroggan) raro or other sugary drink syrup chocoate hearbal teabags 2 minute noodles
Last trip I was getting over an injury and had to convince the missus I was only going for an overnighter. As she was dropping me off at the roadend this involved making the supply of food look as minimal as possible. 5 days walk (but carried 6 days food): (weights are guesses) 1kg rice 1/2 pack of scotch oats - 400g 1 bag mixed dried veg - 100g 6 sachets continental cuppa soup 300g 1 cup dried milk - 50g 1 cup sugar - 200g little salt & curry powder 12x muesli bars - 600g Rice & veg+sauce for tea (leftovers for lunch) Porridge for breakfast Total: 2.55kg or 425g/day. Somewhat bored of rice & porridge by the end though. How does that compare by weight to going the backcountry cuisine way? p.s. The dog also got 1 cup of dogfood a day. Weight-for-weight that's probably twice what I carried for myself!
I'll bite. madpom, did she call the cops when you didn't show up the following day? Or did you do a bad job of convincing her in the end?
Na. Sent her a text from cattle creek on the InReach satphone thingy to say i'd be going a bit further.
Was a good trip as it turned out. Bumped into pmkey & fruitbat & a.n.other who's name I should remembrr in Howletts.
I mix a backcountry single serve dinner with small tin of tuna and a packet of noodles and stretch a dinner and a supper out of it (stops me from breaking rations in the night with snacking). I've got my diet pared down so that a 500 ml aluminium cup serves as pot, plate and mug. Add a spork and SAK and that's kitchen and dinnerware done.
I have a daily ration pack I have designed which is super cheap, super light (just over 600grams per day),and keeps you full. Homemade double serve golden syrup porridge and cup of coffee for breakfast. Two muesli bars two instant soups and dried fruit and nut plus tea for lunch/snacks. Spicy vege couscous and chorizo with almonds for dinner and peanut slab and tea for dessert. I have tried all the backcountry meals and would have my couscous every time. It is only a few dollers a serve. Lighter to dry. Uses less fuel and water to prepare and you end up with a larger serve than b/c two serve.
I'm pretty boring... Breakfast: Uncle Toby's instant oatmeal (x2) plus an instant cappuccino Lunch: PBJs (peanut butter and jelly sandwiches) - I'll bring up to a four-day supply - heavy and bulky, I know, but they just really hit the spot... Dinner: 2-person Backcountry Cuisine (does the 1-person size really fill anyone up?) - Classic Beef Curry remains my favourite Snacks: trail mix from New World and the odd Snickers bar Plus a few OSMs as emergency food
instant porridge is pretty much standard fare as I find musly too hard to eat. 2 packs whatever brand or flavour instant oats a good sprinkling sugar and milk powder and one cup boiling water. Sit for one minute and eat. Watch out for the wholemeal and larger serve packs. They dont work to this recipe. Lunch is normally bread rolls cheese and a few other things. I tried salami once but made the mistake of getting a non heat treated one and it was a warm weekend so had to carry rotten salami the whole way. Dinners can be more interesting. I rarely do more than weekend tramps so weight is less of an issue but pastas and curries seem to most often make the menu. A good red curry paste and pack of dried coconut milk can change a simple stew into something worth eating
1–10 of 51

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Food
Started by bradley1
On 6 December 2013
Replies 50
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown