What do you eat!

As a follow on to the thread about freeze dried food, what do you eat when you go bush? Last time I went out for 3 days I had: Bfast at home: sandwiches, fruit, 2x muesli bars Steak w. instant mash, peas/corn/carrot mix, chocolate bar,tea, orange drink (pkt: cold) Muesli w. fruit, tea crackers w. tuna, muesli bar, water freeze dried 2 serve (Fettucine), crackers, fruit leather, tea, orange drink (pkt: hot) Freeze dried 1 serve (Beef hotpot), crackers, tea total: 750gms Apart from the above I carry sugar for my tea, and an emergency meal of OSM bars in my pack. Im wondering what other people carry.
51 comments
31–40 of 51

Failing that 40 packs of GU and a liter of water.
My brothed in law is into GU, I cant stomach the stuff, too sweet and sickly tasting for me. He's a trail runner so light is the only way to go for them. I do like the Clif bars he gifted me though- peanut butter and chocolate......yum! They are hard to get here but he goes to the US 5-6 times a year and buys a carton of them for future use.
Oh I was only joking I hate the stuff as well, its just an old saying. '40 packs of gu , a liter of water and do it in a day'
Cheese cake has been one of my all time favorites, kind of need to be near a river. Exceptionally good if you are trying to impress some chick.
Ha Ha, cheesecake. My mate Janet and I used to have them in our food drops when we were doing our Fiordland traverse. She'd make them up and then one of us would eat half of it and hand it over to the other to finish off. One time I got carried away and ate the entire cheesecake before I'd realized what I'd done. I apologised and Janet said it was OK because she'd eat the whole cheesecake next time at the next food drop. And she did. Last time I ate one of those, I could only eat a sixth of one. Hard to believe that I could eat a whole one on my own and we were already really pigging out at those food drops.
Recall dropping into the upper Lawrence on my southern traverse and finding the biv there had 8 tins of tuna. I was about 12 days out from Otira and some 35-odd days south of Palmy North. I don't really like raiding hut food except in an emergency, but it was smoko time, and after weeks on dehy that tuna looked really tempting. So I said to myself 'I'll just have one'. Before I knew it, I looked at the shelf there was just one tin left! No idea who ate them, coz I'm sure they can't all have been me! Think the stomach and hands must have got themselves together and bypassed the brain & conscience. I mean - i don't even _like_ tuna. Is confession really good for the soul?
i don't even _like_ tuna. I dont like tuna either and would of left them but still count yourself lucky They might of been sardines
I'm intrigued by the cheesecake thing. How does one make cheesecake in the bush? A readymade packet, or individual ingredients? I assume it must be using pectin or another setting agent rather by baking ... Recommendations of brands / recipes welcome.
It's a packet thing http://www.edmondscooking.co.nz/cake-mix/continental-cheesecake-465g Just need to take butter or marg to mix with the base and milkpowder to mix up the filling. Some fruit topping vastly improves the overall look and flavour - the squeezy pouch fruit blends for adding to yoghurt work well. Also need something of the appropriate size and shape to make it in. If you don't carry a large plate with sides or a frizbee with you you can use tinfoil to make a cheesecake sized container.
forgot to add, usually found alongside the cake mix packets in most supermarkets.
31–40 of 51

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Food
Started by bradley1
On 6 December 2013
Replies 50
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown