Tramping in March.......interested?

Anyone interested in a couple of weeks tramping in March? Will be over from Oz to do Rees-Dart and/or anything else in and around this area. Wouldn't mind some company if you have the time? Please get in touch if you're interested.
52 comments
11–20 of 52

Hi Peter Might even get to catch up if you're interested?
I'm having a tricky time arranging transport to Queenstown by the 1st - I finish the Heaphy Track on Feb 28th. If we could nail down a starting date that would be great - I might not be able to get into town until the evening before we would leave. Could we start out on the 4th? I know the Rees Dart needs to be booked ahead of time - maybe we could start with that one?
I'm fine with starting on the 4th if that makes life easier for you? Anyone else have any objections or alternatives?
I'm happier to begin on the 4th as well. It would be good to start with with the Rees-Dart but how about an extra night at the Dart Hut to go up to the Cascade Saddle and back in a day?
Hi everyone, I would love to join for the rees-dart (seems to be a great one...). I was planning to tramp for some days or weeks around march. I'm still wondering though if I am experienced enough, I wouldn't like to be a pain for you. The only experience I had was fabulous, it was about 6/7 hours walk a day (for 5 days), max : 1000m of difference in height (up) a day. It was allright for me but I wouldn't be able to do a lot more. If you are planning to do something harder, then tell me and I will focus on something easier... Greetings from Paris, Alix
My vote is for the Rees Dart with the extra day at Dart Hut. I am excited to add this bit to see Dart Glacier - great! Going to work this morning and washing dishes all day is suddenly a little less grim :) I'm looking forward to meeting everyone in Queenstown! Hi Alix. I think it would be fantastic to have another another person on the tramp and it sounds like you would be ok to do it (but I am no expert). My advice is to read more about the tramp and decide if it sounds like something you feel comfortable and capable of doing. You should also make sure you have the right gear. You can visit: http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/tracks-and-walks/otago/wakatipu-area/rees-dart-track/ I've read that the tramp up Cascade Saddle to view Dart Glacier is the most challenging part of the hike - a day you could skip and wait out at Dart Hut.
Very sensible talk Alix! I'm pleased you want to do the saddle as well.
This all sounds good to me. I'm easy with whatever everybody else wants to do. Just need to make a definate time and place to meet I guess. Roll on March.
Let's meet on the 3rd March in Queenstown at a place and time you specify during say the afternoon for a pre-walk meet up. This gives time to earlier get hut passes if you have not already got them, buying one's own provisions etc for the trip and booking transport to the start point via Glenorchy for the following day.
Seems like a good idea. Does anyone have a favourite watering hole? I was think maybe The Speight Ale House which is on the corner of Stanley and Ballarat Street. If anyone has any other ideas???? As for time? Best give a bit of leeway so from midday til closing might just cover it, don't you think? I suggest we all wear bowler hats and carry a rolled up copy of the Times so we can recognise each other....or maybe not!
11–20 of 52

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Tramping partners
Started by normclimb
On 13 January 2009
Replies 51
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown