Wellington region tramping clubs

Hi I recently moved to Wellington and was wondering if anyone can make some recommendations about the local tramping clubs. Cheer
40 comments
21–30 of 40

I know I'm slow, always get the top bunk in the huts! I prefer to enjoy and photograph. This is a good excuse for a rest too.
Usually the last one to the hut gets to sleep outside on the verandah. Don't tell anyone though, it's usually the best place to be. :-)
Tramping clubs have had a major impact on walking in newzealand and thankfully its between them, the forest service and other like minded organizations that we have the network of huts that we do. As a prospective old fart i am starting to revel in my slowness its amazing how much you see at my pace. I find myself on top of sika almost touching them the same day that a young fast hunter has told me that its really hard to even find them. And like Peter the verandah does hold a welcome fascination.
I seem to go at variable rates depending on who I'm with, and it's interesting the different things that become apparent. I do sometimes get accused of walking quickly by people I go out with, even though I think it's just because I have a slightly unorthodox and bouncy technique for getting up hills, and that seems to be the only thing people notice. I do tend to move faster than some during certain instances, but after factoring in the times that I like to abruptly stop and see what's around me, take photos, catch my breath, generally experience the quietness until it's no longer quiet, and perhaps wait for someone else to catch up, I'm not sure that my overall favourite pace is very different.
Slow and steady is the way to go. I always say, start off slow and you will soon work up to the correct pace, start too fast and you will get breathless and then you have a hell of a job finding the right pace. Try this... I have actually done it. Slow down as you start up a big hill. As everyone goes past you you say, "it's OK, I will wait for you at the top". They look at you kind of odd but keep going, breathing properly through your nose and keep a steady pace without stopping. I gaurantee it, you arrive at the top and you will have to stop and wait for all those other silly buggers who passed you at the bottom.
Defintely slow, steady and relentless, The Hare and Tortoise story didnt eventuate just to entertain children
Hmmm.. Well if I get overtaken by a crazy mountain runner, they'll often wave to me later from an opposing ridge no matter what I say to them at the bottom. It has to be at your own natural rate, in my opinion, slow or fast or in between. Obviously sprinting up a hill wastefully and without a plan and beyond one's ability will tire someone out unnecessarily, but so will moving in a way that's that's not optimal for however muscles are tuned. After a while you just get to know what suits you best. Up hills is about the only time when I can find it difficult to be walking behind someone who prefers a slower rate than I do. For various reasons my personal preference is to not walk at a constant rate at all. Catching up with people and having to suddenly stop and start all over again when I don't want to can be quite taxing. I usually just try to get to either the front or back of any group so there's more freedom to wait for people to catch up or get ahead, which often also results in excuses to sit and enjoy the scenery. It's works well for me and it's gotten me up steep hills and mountains many times.
I had an experience of this recently where I started out at a quick pace to keep up with the group, not wanting to be the one to hold everyone up and although I did keep up for a couple of hours, the first sign of a big hill and I found myself fatigued and out of gas in the tank. Im happy to go along at my own pace but being with a club they werent allowed to leave me (which I understand the reasons for). It was just unfortunate that there was no-one else in the group at my pace (they happened to all be club members that had been tramping every weekend for 20 odd years!). However the leader talked to me like I had never tramped before (although I explained I had many times) and questioned my ability to continue on the next day. I was mortified! I had worked out I had fatigued myself by setting out too quickly and new Id be absolutely fine the next day if I could go at my own pace. I have to say, anyone who knows me knows I dont give up and it wasnt even a hard track but, as I say, I had just fatigued myself too early. To say the least her questioning completely embarrassed me. I was also intrigued to hear comments from other members such as "oh we dont wait for people to take photo's" and other similar comments. They even looked at me oddly when I stopped to get some water out! Personally for me, I dont get to go tramping as often as I would like so when I do, I like to take it all in, take photo's and stop and smell the roses so to speak. However I proved my point the following day and conquered 15kms of boulder bashing in 7hrs. I was stoked with that as the DOC brochure had said 8-9 hrs .... it just turns out the rest of them did it in 6! I dont want to give the club a bad wrap and it was just an unfortunate combination of not having anyone else on the trip at my pace and me not sticking to a pace I know and the leader been over-cautious but unfortunately Ive come away doubting my abilities and whether they'll want me on another trip. But, Im not going to let that stop me. Im pleased to hear others like to stop and look at every rock and leaf they pass too, its very reassuring.
(This wasnt in Wellington by the way - just noticed the thread title!)
just returned from 2 day tramp in aorangis to washpool hut with Hutt valley tramping club BRILLIANT trip planning next one as i type
21–30 of 40

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum The campfire
Started by KevIII
On 15 November 2008
Replies 39
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown