re waterproofing

1–10 of 14

How do you re waterproof rain gear and packs? what products would you recommend using and what methods do you use?
nikwax or grangers products, spray on or wash in, follow the instructions... you cant really waterproof a pack, most arent made waterproof if its canvas you could increase the water repellency with this. if its nylon you could use the same products for rainshells if its a spray on treatment. http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/gear-news/nikwaxs-new-improved-cotton-proof/11318.html
I wouldnt even bother waterproofing a pack, it just wont work correctly. I would go buy one of the MSC or no brand heavy duty plastic survival bags and use it as a pack liner. Also, I buy a new waterproof pack cover every 2-3 years, it wont keep your gear super dry buy at least it slows the rate of water absorption. Some 2-3 layer jackets can be tumbled dry on a very low setting to re energise their structure but you have to be very careful you dont melt your $700 jacket. I find Grangers is the best product to use.
Yeah - the MSC survival bags make great packliners. The survival instructions printed on them give you something to read when stranded for days waiting for rivers to go down, at least ... Something to do besides counting sandflies.
The Kathmandu version even comes with a checkerboard...
Thanks for the tips, Yes the pack liners are very good as are pack covers. I always loop my pack cover on through a pack strap as they can easily blow away in high wind, I have also experimented with cutting out a reasonable size section at the bottom and sewing in netting as they have a tendancy to pool water, this works well. Nice to have a dry pack in a hut rather than making puddles every where.
Ive made my own homemade web strap to secure my pack cover to the outside of my pack. It has two female web clips at the half way point and a strap with two male clips to go around the back of my pack. Luckily my current Vaude pack has a large gap for ventelation between my back and the pack. With the pre-existing elastic it works really well.
What joy do any of you pack-cover users have when off-track in bush? Pushing through wet vegetation is the time when I most need extra waterproofing - the pack seems to do OK at keeping out just rain if I'm on tracks / tops / rivers etc. I've always assumed the covers will just snag / rip on everything I push through when used in bush/scrub. Are they any good?
First pack cover I ever saw was ok all the way to the bush edge on the way to powel hut. Twas a little breezy and the cover was last seen at about 500 feet above us climbing rapidly Probably in Phobo straight now.
I saw a similar event on Gillespie Pass. A group in front had 3 covers fly off in quick succession. Looked like a group of hot air baloons heading up over the pass. Geeves - Phobo Straight !! is that on one of the Martian moons ?
1–10 of 14

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Kokako
On 28 August 2013
Replies 13
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown