re waterproofing

How do you re waterproof rain gear and packs? what products would you recommend using and what methods do you use?
14 comments
11–14 of 14

Foveaux Strait I really cant spell
@madpom, I've never seriously used a pack cover on a multi-day trip, but I'm coming to appreciate their value for some circumstances when being out with others, mostly when it comes to absorption... but I'm also using one of those MacPac Aztec fabric packs, which seems to soak up water like a sponge. (When I bought it, I remember Macpac's marketing material even advising that being saturated with water made the pack as-a-whole more waterproof!) Most relatively savvy people I know wouldn't bother with a pack cover in a bush-bashing situation, and would just put up with whatever water their pack collected. But for things like wandering around in the tops in constant drizzle but low wind, I've tended to regret the amount of moisture that my pack's soaked up whilst pack cover users get very little. Sometimes I reckon a couple of hundred grams of pack cover might potentially save several kilograms of water soakage in that situation, as long as you're confident the cover won't snag or fly away. I'd actually quite like to see a comparison of packs by how much water they'll soak up until they're fully saturated. It could be an amusing test.
I`ve used a pack cover for some time;they`re good for keeping most mud from my pack.As for keeping the pack dry?Nah!A weeks` rain will educate you as to their effectiveness.If you`re fording deepish water,ditto. In SAR,we use `em but mostly so others can see us,day or night(reflector strip).I use dry bags for the important stuff & expect the rest to get wet.Ditto someones` comments re bush bashing.The scrub`s gonna win!
Aarn Packs have built in waterproof liners. This solves the problem of water entry down the back with pack covers and the vulnerability of pack covers to damage in scrub etc. With an internal liner you can also attach tools on the outside of the pack. It is the best solution to keeping your gear dry but the outside of the pack will still get wet which adds to the weight. I would like feedback on a combined pack cover/parka which we are developing which keeps the pack dry. THE BODYPACKA The Bodypacka provides total protection from rain, snow and wind for both you, your shorts, and your Aarn Bodypack. The Bodypacka replaces both your rain parka and your pack cover. The large size weighs around 550 gms, the small about 500 gms. A parka that is long enough to cover your shorts plus a pack cover can't match that weight.   The Bodypacka is placed on the pack as a pack-cover at first and the jacket section is pulled out and put on as needed without removing your pack. Because the Bodypacka is not underneath your backpack's shoulder straps, sternum strap or hip belt, air can circulate freely under the Bodypacka. The large pit zips and the front zip can now function efficiently to give outstanding ventilation, unmatched by conventional garments. Adjustment of the zips allows excellent management of body temperature while hiking. You no longer have to choose between getting wet from sweat or wet from rain when hiking in foul weather. Because the Bodypacka is a one piece, pack cover-parka combination, rain cannot run down between your pack and your back, and seep into your pack. The Bodypacka protects your shoulder straps and hip belt from the rain. You no longer have to endure cold wet pack straps the morning after a rainy day. The arms of Bodypacka are cut long to allow outstanding freedom of movement. The hood will follow head movement easily while maintaining good vision, and can be cinched up closely leaving just a slit for the eyes in driving rain, sleet or snow.  You can partially undo the front zip to access gear in the front Balance Pockets. By facing away from the rain, you can access contents without water entry. What other garment and carrying system allows this? The Bodypacka is highly versatile. If using your pack without the Balance Pockets, the pocket covers on the garment fold and snap flat against your chest to prevent flapping in the wind. The pack cover can also be snapped flat against your back so you can use the garment by itself - useful when you are setting up camp in the rain with the pack off. For storage or for use as a pillow, the Bodypacka folds into its own mesh pocket.  The Bodypacka is available in 2 sizes: S and L. Choose the same size as your Aarn Bodypack. The sleeve closures and drawstrings allow you to cinch the Bodypacka to your size. The pack cover drawstring allows the Bodypacka to accommodate smaller packs. The Bodypacka has been developed to work with Aarn Bodypacks from the original Packa concept of Eddie Hinnant. Weight S: 500gm. L: 550gms Fabrics Breathable Event fabric over your body and 40D nylon ripstop Sil/ PU fabric over the pack and pockets. The seams are fully taped. Colour Red
11–14 of 14

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Kokako
On 28 August 2013
Replies 13
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown